Chapter 1: Equivocal Feelings

For Aaliya it was a normal morning, She strutted down the dirt path that overlooked the village that she called her home. Aaliya's sapphire eyes were not normal but she pushed past that as her entire family had sapphire eyes. Aaliya walked down the path passing one of her closest friends Kinya who was sitting on a hay bale while petting her goats, Aaliya waved her hand at Kinya who responded with a smile of her own, "Morning Kinya !" Kinya smiled and dipped her head at Aaliya but said nothing in return. Aaliya's small but cozy hut came into view so she smiled softly at the sight of her two little brothers jumping around with their tiny small brown dog. Boomi her youngest brother jumped in front of her and grasped his tiny hands around Aaliya's curvy waist Aaliya chuckled and picked him up sitting him on the side of her hip "Good morning, Klein boetie," Her little brother smiled and rasped out a "good morning aaliya," but the sickness could be heard through his tiny voice, Aaliya sighed softly but hid her emotion from her brother so she wouldn't bring fear to him, Her other little brother Izaak greeted her as well as she bent down and ruffled his short brown shaggy hair. 

 Aaliya sat boomi back down as the two boys ran back to play but the dog they called 'Spot' followed her into the small hut. Aaliya was met with the coolness from the hut as outside was blistering hot like normal, She was met with her mother cooking while humming softly while cradling Anna in her arms, anna was her little sister as she had bright blue eyes just like the rest of her family besides her father Abduel. Aaliya smiled brightly at her mother and anna as she walked over to her mother and layed her hand on her shoulder, "Morning mama," Lesha turned to her daughter and smiled warmly at her as she sat anna in a makeshift baby stool and turned towards her hugging her tightly. 

Lesha was a very good mother as she had a nice defined toned face with the same bright sapphire eyes most of her children carried. Aaliya hugged her mother tightly back but the hug was broken apart as the huts door creaked open to reveal her three eldest brothers walking into the hut with her father walking behind them, "Elijah, Jafari, Zane," Her mother spoke softly as she wrapped her arms around her brothers but aaliyah was met with her father glaring at her, "father." 

Aaliya spoke breathlessly but her father sneered at her and walked away from her "what did i do-" she began but was cut off by zane talking "Give him time aaliya, he is not over erica's death." Aaliya instantly looked to her long lanky legs, "That was not my fault" she whispered "Oh of course not darling !" her mother said softly embracing her with her warm arms. 

Elijah stared at Aaliyah and began to speak "No, no aaliyah it was never your fault but you know dad." He spoke out bravely as Abduel stood next to him, His father just stared at his feet then looked back up his emerald green eyes looked like the forest and all of it's secrets "It was entirely your fault don't lie." He said coldly, aaliya's head flung up as she stared coldly at him "SHE WAS DROWNING AND I CAN'T SWIM PAPA !" she screeched which caused the boys and her mother to flinch. Abduel practically growled as he stared at her "Young lady don't you dare raise your voice at me ! and you know what you did, you could have saved her ! but instead you stood in fear like the coward you are!" he practically exploded.

 Lesha gasped at her husband's outburst as she instantly walked up to him and slapped him harshly "Don't speak to her like that ! It was no one's fault but yours !" Abduel stared down at his wife in shock as he just pushed her off of him and stomped out of the small hut. Aaliya frozen to her place let the tears that pricked at her eyes spill on her cheeks as she felt all eyes on her, Boomi walked closer to his older sister wanting to comfort her, "Aaliya-" Lesha began but before anyone could do anything aaliya ran out of  the hut tears streamed her cheeks as her feet pounded against the dirt path as she ran to the only place she felt at peace, the river.