Bryce-Chapter 48

I woke up with a massive headache. My body was aching all over the place. I couldn't even get out of bed.
Coach was making us practice even more, now that scouts were making an appearance to the games.
His motto was 'No mercy,no success.'
I just wished that he was a little merciful in letting us breathe from all the pressure. Based on the amount of training we were doing, we were all going to get exhausted before the games even began.
Last night, after I came home, I was ready to have an early night out but suddenly remembered about a Spanish assignment due the next day.
I called Juli to ask for help but it was already 11 p.m., so when I was halfway through with it, I cut the call.
I slept around 3 a.m barely completing half of the work,hoping that Ms. Sanchez would let me off the hook this time for the shabby work.
Spanish wasn't my greatest subject. As was Chemistry, Maths and English.
All in all, none of the subjects were.
I woke up around 6 am,drifting in and out of conscious. I tried to get out of bed to get ready for practice, but the only thing that I was able to lift off my bed was my head.

I reached my hand to the alarm clock that sat on my table and brought it in front of my face.
It read 12 p.m.
I groaned.
I forced myself to go downstairs because I was suddenly hungry and I needed to eat something to stop my head from spinning.
I walked into the kitchen to find a plate of scrambled eggs and toast on the counter.
I gobbled it all up in one go.
What?
I said that I was hungry.
I was washing the plate in the sink when Chet called out.
" Bryce?"

" Yeah, Grandad?" I asked as I walked into the living room where Chet was sitting in his usual chair reading the newspaper.

" How are you feeling, kiddo?" He put down the newspaper and did a quick perusal of me.
" You don't look too good," He commented.

" I do. I feel much better now. Did anything happen while I was passed out?"

" Well, let's see. I can't seem to remember...,"He rubbed his chin thoughtfully in contemplation.
" Juli came to see you before school. She wanted to stay but your mother shooed her away. Your mother said that there is frozen lasagna in the fridge for lunch. And..that she would be coming home early tonight to make your favourite soup."

After eating a few bites of lasagna, I just went back up to my room to finish the assignment but I didn't want to. So, I floundered around the house because I had nothing else to do.
It turned out that there was a lot of time to pass when you didn't have school.
But I was bored.
Which was why after my mom came home, I tried to convince her to let me go and cover my shift at the cafe.
" Mom. I've been watching the news with Chet for the past couple of hours. The news,mom. You know that I hate watching it.I don't think I can handle staying inside anymore."

" Absolutely not. You need to relax. No cafe,no football. I want you to go to your room and relax. Now," She ordered as she waved a ladle at me.
I raised my hands in surrender and said,
" Ok,ok. Geez, you don't have to be so mean about it."
When I went upstairs, I was struck by a thought that I was forgetting something incredibly important. I racked my brain for the next couple of minutes and couldn't come up with anything.
When it was slowly turning 6 p.m., I went downstairs to see my mother's car pass by the window.
I quickly shoved my wallet and phone in my pocket, put on a sweater and was about to open the door.
" And just where do you think you are going, young man?"
I turned around to find Chet with his hands on his hips.
He didn't look angry. He appeared to be amused?
Not the reaction I was expecting.

" Grandad, I can't stay in the house any longer. Please don't force me to stay under house arrest," I pleaded with my hands.

He gave me a smile and gestured his head towards the door.
" Get out here."

" Thanks, Chet!" I grinned as I opened the door.

" But if your mom finds out, I am not taking the blame!" He hollered.

---×---
There wasn't much of a rush at the cafe but it definitely did beat being at my house.
It was during 7:30 p.m., when Lucas walked in whistling to himself.
He greeted the regular customers with a cheery smile and passed me a nod.
I just finished taking an order when Lucas asked,
" Hey, don't you and Jesse go to the same high school?"
Jesse was Lucas's sister.

" Yeah, why?"
I never saw her in school but she would come over to the cafe when she was running some errands and needed Lucas's car.

" She got all dressed up for some event at school. I think it was homecoming or something? She took like 4 hours in the bathroom. I had to go and pee in my neighbour's house," He chuckled.