So, Valentine's Day.

Valentine's Day.

Some people like it, some people don't.

Some people get cards, some people get emails, and some people stare at walls all day. Like me.

Valentine's Day originated from Rome. In those days, the government were very proud of their army, and yet some of the biggest snags were marriage. This was because the men would ask for  days off to see their girl, they wouldn't be fully focused on what was at hand (for example, battle) and instead were preoccupied with their wife. 

So, the Roman army banned wives. You weren't allowed to marry, at all. No wives, no distraction. Therefore, no distraction, big army at 100% strength.

Of course, lots of people had issues with this. People who wanted to marry, the people who married people to other people, and generally a sizeable chunk of the population. One of these was a guy called Valentine, who was at the time a priest. (Or a vicar, depends on whether I remember correctly.) And señor Valentine went, "no no no we cannot have this," (not actual quote) and ignored the Romans. 

He married people off anyway, despite it being illegal, and yet he would only marry people off who he thought were actually in love. After a bit, the Romans came up, and, you know, just killed him a bit.

And thus, St Valentine was killed. However this kind of backfired in the Romans' faces, because he was made a saint and had a day dedicated to him. 

whelp.

(This is actually real. This isn't nonsense, it's a thing I thought you might like to know. Some of the details may not be entirely accurate, because I've been writing it down from what I remember when I was told it last year. I haven't got a very good memory. However I might do a second one on Valentine's Day, but this time humourous nonsense. So, if there is a second one, then just remember it's the first one that's true. The second one is completely irrelevant. You might get them mixed up (since in the nonsense stories, they're so obviously real and you'll have a job to tell which is which) but the FIRST ONE IS REAL.)