red-velvet musings | horrordust

horror and dust celebrate a job well done and simply enjoy one another's company.

couldn't miss the opportunity to write about my babies, horror 'n dust,,, I love this ship so much, I stg. 'smaller/taller' = dust, 'larger' = horror

━━━━━━━━ ♥

"'M real glad that worked out."

Dust exhaled as he stirred sporadically at the pastry dough, "Wasn't sure how I was gonna handle it if it didn't." The two figures stood alone in the mess of a kitchen, oven dinging to notify Horror that the device had successfully preheated. "We wouldn't have nudged him if we thought there was even a chance of X sayin' no." The larger mumbled quietly, "We love 'em both too much to purposely do somethin' that would end up hurtin' them." Several half-empty boxes of candy hearts lay discarded on the counter, their colorful contents singing quiet words of love and adoration in the dim overhead light. "Doesn't make it any less nerve-wrackin'." The dough stuck to the curves of the whisk, the faint aroma of sugar dripping from metal as Dust grimaced. "The last thing we needed was things goin' back to the way they used to be. We ain't certified matchmakers, y'know."

"Wouldn't do much use even if we were." Horror rumbled, singular crimson eyelight focused on measuring out one cup of unsalted butter that was slipped quietly into the microwave to soften. "Nobody here 's normal. There ain't no tellin' who or what the hell anybody likes; it's a matchmaker's nightmare." Dust snorted in agreement, flinging a bit of batter onto the wall as he pointed the whisk crookedly at the larger.

"I know I like you-"

He offered a lopsided grin partnered with an eyebrow wriggle, "-but that's about it. Everythin' else changes far too often fer me to keep track." Horror huffed at the teasing remark, mumbling something that was inaudible save for the faint words of 'love you too'. "Matchmakers or not, things ended jus' fine." Horror appeared behind the hooded skeleton, gently resting his hand upon Dust's and guiding both gloved appendage and whisk back to the waiting bowl of batter.

"We even gave Kills a back door, an excuse to get out 'f things go sour." The methodic rhythm of stirring returned. "That ain't gonna be useful, I don't think either of one 'em is gonna do much walking any time soon." Dust grinned, cackling quietly as Horror rolled his eyes in flustered assumption. "Well 's there anyway. Walkin' or not." There was a dull thud as softened butter slid down the sides of a glass bowl to sit awkwardly upon a mound of powdered sugar.

The majority of the mansion's members were out doing their own thing for Valentine's Day, whether it be with separate friends or older family. Horror and Dust had chosen to occupy the kitchen in their absence, and the countertops were stained with flecks of batter and chunks of forming icing as the couple slowly worked their way through a battered recipe for cupcakes.

"Yeah, this doesn't look right." The hooded skeleton poked at the batter with the end of his utensil, "Pretty sure I fucked somethin' up, H. Sorry." Dust wasn't a frequent in the kitchen like his boyfriend was. Horror was a natural when it came to most things edible, and Dust was, well, simply not. He had a tendency to burn the majority of things that needed to be cooked and a nasty habit of messing up meals that required an ingredient of patience; he was just fine when it came down to science or battle, but the kitchen was one opponent that the taller could never seem to overcome.

"Lemme see." Horror peered over Dust's shoulder with his own bowl of homemade frosting cradled securely in his arms. "Nah, 's just lumpy. Here, you gotta stir it like this or else it won't get smooth 'n even." The faint clink of glass upon marble countertop signaled that the cannibal had discarded his own project in favor of salvaging Dust's, and a clawed hand was once again placed gently over Dust's gloved one. "Quick and thorough." The whisk slid thickly through the dough as Horror moved his and Dust's hands in sync, showing the smaller the proper motions to actually mix the ingredients together. "Okay, okay- like this?" The tip of a mauve tongue protruded from Dust's mouth as the Dusttale squinted, pouring most of his focus into mimicking the actions demonstrated by his lover.