Exposition: Not all men are created equal

From the moment we develop or don't develop, the quirks are judged and immediately assigned a role. A purpose. Those with strong, flashy, and potent quirks were expected to be heroes. They were expected to use their quirk and body to serve others, no matter the toll.

Those who have strong but intimidating or menacing quirks were labeled as villains. They were dangerous, evil, and good for nothing except to be caught by the heroes. All those quirks are good for is destruction.

And those who were labeled as the weak and inadequate civilians. Civilians have quirks that are too weak and simple to bring great importance to the world. They were expected to be the helpless victims of the wicked, immoral villains. And to be saved by the firm and righteous heroes.

Some of us, 20% to be exact, are born quirkless. We have nothing. Weaker and even more fragile than the average civilian.

Once everyone around you decides which role you best suit, you continue with your life and keep that role in mind as it won't change.

I was born quirkless, as was my younger brother. Neither of us took it well when we found out. But Izuku had dreams of being a hero, and his being quirkless made that impossible.