78 - November 24th

The Spice Girls and the Backstreet Boys gathered together in a line across the stage to take their final bow. The band continued to play an extension of the final song to fill the gap while the singers were still on stage. The screams and cheers of the crowd filled the stadium and fans jumped from their seats to wave at the artists, desperately trying to get them to wave back to them. The two groups held hands and bowed, then blew kisses and waved to the audience, not wanting to leave the stage and have their tour come to an end.

Knowing they couldn't make the night last forever, they slowly exited the stage, still waving to the crowd as they disappeared behind the curtains for the last time. Everyone was teary, realization setting in that they would all be going off on their own and would no longer be together anymore and that chapter of their lives had ended.

Melanie had been hit the hardest and was in floods of tears while she changed into her street clothes. All of the girls tried to comfort her, but knew she needed to be given time to work through her emotions.

As soon as Melanie emerged from her change room, she was collected into the arms of both Brian and AJ. They said nothing, just held each other and let one another cry. Everyone let them be, giving them space to say their goodbyes in private. The girls would stay another night in a hotel before flying back to England in the morning, but the boys were all scheduled to fly home that evening.

"I'm really going to miss you," Melanie whimpered, holding both of the boys tightly.

"We're just a phone call and a flight away," AJ assured her, kissing the side of her head. "We'll make sure to come and see you every chance we get."

Melanie nodded and let go of the boys, wiping her eyes with the sleeve of her jumper.

"How about this?" Brian suggested. "We make a plan to all get together next summer as like a little family reunion thing."

"Ok," Melanie squeaked, nodding and looking at him intensely.

"I'm thinking camping trip in the woods, do a bit of fishing, some hiking," Brian continued, a smirk growing as he watched Melanie look at him with disgust.

"You're a shit," she chuckled, playfully pushing him away.

"AJ will work on his fishing skills, and we'll be totally set," Brian continued, pulling Melanie close once more and kissing her cheek.

"Never again, as long as I live," Melanie giggled, taking AJ's hand and pulling him close.

They continued to hold one other, not wanting to let each other go. They were finally broken up as Sam came to collect the boys when their car arrived to take them to the airport. They said their final goodbyes, and Melanie watched as the two boys disappeared down the hallway.

She stood alone in the hallway, feeling strangely empty. She had no tears left to cry. She slowly made her way toward the green room, following the sound of the girls as they collected their things and got ready to head back to the hotel.

Melanie stood at the door and peered inside, watching her best friends messing around together. She smiled, content with knowing they were still together, their bond stronger than ever. They would break briefly for Christmas, then gather again to begin recording another album. That would be followed with new single releases, promotions, and inevitably another tour. They would return to America again eventually and have the opportunity to hang out with the boys again.

Knowing there was much to look forward to made her excited about the future. She couldn't wait to begin a new chapter and felt immensely grateful she would be doing so as herself, no longer scared of everyone, no longer haunted by the events of the past. In the period of not knowing who she was, she learned a lot about herself and what she was capable of. She felt stronger and more confident, almost fearless.

It felt good to be herself again.