30 - July 10th

The Backstreet Boys, Spice Girls, Melanie's parents, and Emma's mum were situated throughout the penthouse suite. Pauline was moving quickly throughout the suite, clearing dishes from lunch. She looked sadly over at Melanie, who was sitting alone at the table in the kitchen area. Her head was down and her plate had barely been touched. It was clear she didn't want to finish the meal in front of her.

Joan approached Melanie and gently placed her hands on her shoulders, trying not to look hurt as Melanie cringed at her touch. "I wish you would eat some more, darling," she sighed sadly. "Are you finished?" Melanie nodded, remaining stiff in her chair. She kept her head down as Pauline took her plate and emptied it into the rubbish bin.

"What if she made her own food?" Dennis suggested, sitting at the table, across from Melanie. Melanie looked at him curiously and flinched as her stomach growled. "She's obviously hungry," he chuckled. "If she doesn't trust the food we're giving her, why not take her out and let her choose her own?"

"Take her to a supermarket?" Joan asked.

"Why not?" Dennis asked. "Call ahead to clear the place out or go after hours when no one else is there if you're worried people will approach her."

"She did like cooking before all of this happened," Joan agreed. "Maybe doing a bit of cooking might bring something back for her. Perhaps one of the girls can take her out for a bit."

"I'll go!" Emma offered enthusiastically.

"She is most comfortable with Emma," said Dennis. "And JP or Vern can take them."

"That's settled then," said Joan. "I'll ring Simon and see if he can arrange something." She excused herself and walked down the hall to call Simon.

Melanie had been sitting at the table for an hour, waiting to be told what to do. She'd been given the plate of food, but no one had forced her to eat anything. Gathering her courage, she slowly pushed her chair back and looked at Dennis and Emma apprehensively. Dennis smiled kindly and chuckled.

"Go on," he said. "You don't have to stay." Melanie bit her lip and looked around the room before slowly standing up and backing toward the patio doors.

"You want to go outside?" Emma asked, smiling and attempting to sound encouraging. Melanie nodded and placed her hand on the doorknob. She waited a moment, examining the expressions of everyone at the table before turning the knob and letting the door swing open.

"You can go out if you'd like," Dennis chuckled. "No one's going to stop you."

Melanie stepped over the threshold, gripping the door handle tightly and looking at Emma and her dad expectantly. Still receiving smiles from her onlookers, she stepped fully outside and closed the door, glancing back to make sure no one was following her, then she walked to the edge of the patio to look at the scenery outside. She looked up, letting the sun hit her face, and breathed deeply, enjoying the moment of solitude.

"Did she just decide to do something on her own without waiting to be told?" Dennis asked with disbelief. Emma nodded emphatically, the excited smile on her face matching Dennis's.

"There's a little supermarket just a few blocks down the road," Joan announced as she returned to the kitchen. "JP will take you and Melanie as soon as you're ready. Apparently, the store was closed today for a family event, but they have an employee willing to come in and tend the shop for you girls."

Once a car had been arranged, JP arrived at the suite to escort Melanie and Emma to the supermarket. He was followed by Officer Shaw, who was scheduled to meet with Melanie's family and friends to discuss the evidence he and this team had discovered. He smiled at Melanie as she skirted around him and looked at him curiously as Emma led her into the elevator. Joan welcomed Officer Shaw into the suite and closed the door before leading him into the sitting room.