78 - November 21st

A crowd of fans and media surrounded the court house as a large, white van pulled up in front of the building. Security were at the ready with barriers and guards to assist the pop stars in weaving through the crowd and into the building. Melanie was the first out of the van and was instantly flanked by Vern and one of the court security guards. She was eager to get into the building to finally sit in front of the five men that had tormented her and ruined the lives of so many other people. She wanted the families of the other victims to see the men brought to justice, and finally put an end to that chapter in their lives.

She waved at fans as they screamed her name and allowed herself to be guided into the building to avoid creating further chaos outside the court house. Her friends were rushed in behind her with the same speed and efficiency as camera flashes lit the area.

They were led through the corridors towards the holding room where they had waited the last time Melanie had been forced to stand trial, but the atmosphere in the room was much more positive and relaxed than their previous experience.

As everyone settled in to await the judge's call for Melanie's attendance in the courtroom, a soft tapping was heard at the door and Officer Shaw and Joan let themselves in. Officer Shaw smiled politely and greeted the group as he closed the door behind himself. He was instantly overwhelmed by the frenzy within the room. His previous visits with the Spice Girls had been quite subdued and he hadn't yet had the chance to experience the excited energy that swallowed any room they occupied. They all rushed over to greet him, too preoccupied by his presence to hear the bailiff trying to get them to be quiet while in the room.

"Hey, you," he said gently as Melanie approached him. "How are you doing?"

"Brilliant, thanks," Melanie responded brightly, opening her arms to hug him. He looked at her with shock, but returned her embrace. "Well, this is a surprise," he exclaimed, looking at Melanie as she pulled away and smiled up at him. "I'm so use to you wanting to run away from me."

"Melanie got her memory back," Emma stated excitedly, gripping Melanie's hand and squeezing it tightly as Melanie's cheeks flushed. "She's back to normal."

"I never did thank you," said Melanie brightly. "For bringing me back and dealing with me when I'd lost the plot."

"Think nothing of it," Officer Shaw chuckled. "I'm glad everything worked out."

They were all pulled away from their conversation as Melanie was called by the bailiff to enter the courtroom. She smiled at her friends and hugged her mum, then excused herself, inhaling deeply as she approached Rex. He looked at her for a moment, trying to figure out why she looked familiar.

"Have we done this before?" he asked. Melanie nodded and blushed, hoping he wouldn't realize how difficult she'd been the previous time she'd taken the stand. She waved to her friends as they rushed out of the room to watch her on the stand.

As the door opened to the courtroom and Melanie approached the stand, she made sure to make eye contact with each of the men that had taken her captive. Her eyes locked onto Otis as she approached the stand and placed her hand on the bible that was held out to her to swear her in.

"Do you swear to tell the truth and nothing but the truth?" the usher asked, watching Melanie expectantly. She could tell he and the judge remembered her previous court appearance and both were eyeing her warily.

"Yes," she stated firmly, looking them both in the eye. The usher nodded and stepped aside, letting Melanie take a seat on the stand.

"Miss Chisholm, you're aware that your previous statement, or lack thereof, was scratched from the record," the judge explained, observing Melanie as she sat confidently on the stand, a stark contrast from her previous appearance.