Chapter 17

Jungkook's hands shook as he pulled up the video from the USB. His phone was vibrating non-stop, no doubt Captain Min calling to yell at him, but he ignored it.

The file was just named '26-11-2020'...the day Jin went missing. Jungkook closed his eyes and hoped with all his might that for once, after all the insignificant scraps of evidence, he would finally find something worthwhile.

 Jungkook anxiously clicked on the video. It looked like the security camera was focused mainly on the area by the front door, but also gave a view of the sidewalk farther down. After all the time he'd spent in the area, Jungkook immediately knew where the house was located. 

The time was displayed in the corner of the video and Jungkook watched, knowing that Jin would be walking by any time. He was taut with anticipation, especially since Hoseok made it seem like a big deal and Captain Min didn't want him to see it until after he'd finished his work.

Finally, there he was, walking in that same hoodie Jungkook saw him leave the grocery store in. Jin made it there, so close to his house. It wasn't even fully dark yet, what could possibly have happened?

Seokjin's hands were in his pockets. Jungkook couldn't see much of his face, but from his body language, everything looked normal. Then, another figure came into view. It looked to be a male, dressed in all black with his hood up. He was approaching Seokjin quickly. Could this be his...murderer? Kidnapper? Someone just walking past?

By the time they were almost out of the frame, the man was almost right behind Jin. He must have heard him coming as he turned around, but it was too late. The man grabbed him from behind. Jungkook watched in horror as Jin thrashed around, but the man holding him wouldn't budge.

There was no audio, but it looked like Jin was screaming for help. Jungkook found it bizarre that there was nobody else around. Did nobody hear this? Did nobody call the police?

During their struggle, Jungkook saw something, which he presumed to be Jin's phone, fall out of his pocket and into the grass, right where Jungkook found it. Little did he know when he picked it up what happened at that very spot a few days earlier.

Jungkook could tell that Jin was losing strength, his attempts to get free were weaker. The man brought a cloth to his mouth and forced him to breathe it in. 

Jungkook breathed heavily in anger. He couldn't believe somebody was doing this to someone innocent like Jin.

Soon, the boy was limp in the man's arms. It was hard for Jungkook to watch, the way the man dragged Jin's lifeless body back the way they came until they were out of the frame.

He paused the video, mind racing. Of course, he'd had his suspicions for a while that somebody did something bad to Jin. In fact, he was almost sure of it, but it was still hard for him to watch. 

He wasn't sure whether it was the situation itself, or the fact that it was happening to Jin specifically, the boy he'd come to care for so deeply. Either way, that video was the most disturbing thing Jungkook had ever seen.

And this happened so long ago, too, Jungkook realized. He hated to think about what's been happening since then. The man didn't seem to be particularly gentle with the way he handled Jin, who knows what he could have done? 

Jungkook re-winded the video and forced himself to watch it again. This time, paying more attention to finding details of Seokjin's attacker. 

He found himself subconsciously comparing the man in the video to Namjoon, trying to decide whether it could be him. It made him feel like a bad friend, but he couldn't keep using their friendship as an excuse to look past the warning signs.