Chapter Four: Hong Kong Garden

The following day...

"I can feel you hovering over my shoulder," Jamie turned his head quickly to catch me doing just that. He looked agitated even though he held a small smile of not amusement, but annoyed disbelief.

"I'm not hovering."

"Really, you don't consider this hovering?" He questioned as he spun in his chair and in doing so his knees hit my legs, ultimately halting the movements that would have brought him full circle. He moved back and forth a few times to prove his point.

"Alright," I huffed, taking a few steps back, I went to step away to go back to my own space only to turn around to say, "It's just...I'm  ready to go."

"No one is stopping you," Jamie hummed while trying to regain the focus he had just lost.

"Come on," I had to stop myself from whining even though I was  ready to at a moment's notice,  "You said we could get my stuff over an  hour ago..."

"Some of us actually do work around here," He looked back at me and  once again made a good point, I had fallen behind on my work today after  doing the wrong cells for hours straight, "Don't exaggerate."

"Fine, then you explain to the cops why I was trespassing into the apartment to get my stuff!"

I was exaggerating the time just a little bit, but my point still stood. Only the other day Jamie and I left the bank with a notarized paper in hand. But my things still needed to be moved over and we were starting to cut it close. It should have been yesterday when we had originally planned and it should have been easy to pack up the rest of my things because most of it was already inboxes. However, I  procrastinated like I was paid to procrastinate. I should have gotten a  raise for the fine work I did.

"You have a flair for the dramatic..." Jamie shut off his lamp,  telling me that he was finally ready to go. I  already grabbed my stuff and was already out of the door, basically running to Jamie's car. 

The car ride over was silent. It was almost unnerving. I could hear  Jamie breathing and it was starting to get to me. I started to question what I was getting myself into. I didn't have much of a choice, but I  still had a choice. I think I'm freaking out.

"You're breathing very loudly over there," Jamie whispered out as he turned the wheel, "No one is going to arrest you if that's what you're worried about...We've got plenty of time."

"I'm fine," I said through a short breath paired with a curt nod. I  looked at him briefly to see if my words were convincing enough for him.  I thought since he was driving I would be able to catch my glimpse at him, but what I didn't think would be that he would already be looking at me trying to catch his own glimpse.

"You're making me feel like I'm taking you against your will," Jamie let out a dry laugh at our awkwardness, clearly hoping to lighten the tension I had created, "You just asked me to take you...I mean... Did you-

"Jamie," I cut him off harshly, "Just drive."

"I'm just saying...." He suggested as he changed the gear shift. But with the click of shift and Jamie's indifferent shrug, I turned my body to the window knowing Jamie didn't understand what I was feeling. How could he when he's got what he wanted, an employee? But when I thought about what I wanted, my mind went blank, never able to come up with an answer. The last time I had thought of something, it led to this, so maybe for now not thinking would be a good thing. I could feel somewhere in me felt bad for snapping at him the way I did, but the thought of my impulsiveness outweighed it at the moment. What the hell am I doing?