Chapter Three: Unemployed in Summertime

"What are you doing here?" I asked Jamie who sat in front of my door. I held my laundry basket on my hip and waited for him to stand up and answer me.

"I came by yesterday, but no one answered." Oh, so that was him. I thought it was my landlord coming for the rent. I had three days to pay rent or leave. But, the caveat was that the three-day time frame didn't count weekends, so I would deal with it later.

"How do you know where I live?"

"Well, you do work for me..."

"So you stalked me?"

"Look, I'm just coming back to drop this off," He insisted holding out my hearing aid. I reached up to my ear to confirm that my device was missing. I hadn't even noticed I was so lost in my own world alone with no need for it. I wasn't embarrassed that I needed one, but I felt as exposed as it felt sitting for the world to see in the palm of Jamie's hand.

"How do you know that belongs to me?"

"Lucky guess..." He started to joke, but saw my frown, "No, uh, I saw it the other night on the floor so I put it in my pocket to give it to you but I forgot. Then I found it in my pocket...So, I've just come to return it...since you probably need it..."

"Whatever," I grabbed it quickly, no longer tolerating the topic, "Well, thanks..."

Reaching into my basket, I pulled out my keys to enter my home but stopped when Jamie wasn't leaving. I gave him a look over my shoulder asking him why he hadn't left yet. He only looked at me waiting to speak up once I opened my door.

"Do you mind if I come in?"

"We can talk in the hallway."

"...But there's a peeping tom right there," Jamie pointed next to us to my neighbor who was in fact, peeping through their door frame. I couldn't blame him. The walls were incredibly thin and it wouldn't come as a shock if he heard the entire conversation.

"His name is Allen," I huffed but pulled Jamie in by his jacket sleeve.

I dropped my basket near the front door, claiming to fold it later today, but knew I'd have wrinkly clothes for the week. Looking around me, I wanted to see how Jamie would see my space. There were empty boxes scattered on the ground as if they were part of the decor. Some of them were still full, unopened even.

"Just moved in?"

"Something like that..." I said under my breath. I lived here for the past few months. It was the only place 'affordable' in the city. But, apparently, not any longer. That's why I kept my boxes together like this. I hadn't planned on staying here long so there was no need to fully unpack. However, that was just my justification for being lazy. The other reason was no one else was going to come in here besides the occasional matinence person, but what would they care.

I took my hearing aid and disappeared into the other room leaving it to charge. There was no point in putting it in now. It died the other night and that's probably why I didn't notice it missing. I was glad I was somewhat muffled so I didn't have to hear Jamie's shrill voice.

When I came back out Jamie was looking around, but not enough for me to accuse him of snooping. He looked curious. Curious about what I wasn't sure about.

"So, is there something I can do for you?" I asked him the moment I sat down on my uneven stool. He was acting weird and now I was starting to realize just how weird the situation was, "Just get out with it, this whole thing is weird. I mean, my boss showing up at my door then asking me to come in. We're not going to fuck if that's what you thought...You're not that cute."