Chapter 18

"For now, they may sleep in the apprentice den," Wickedcone mewed. He leapt down from the Skybranch and strode over to the ForestClan cats. "The contest begins at dawn. For now, you must rest."

Stonevoice padded with her tail drooping away from the Skybranch. She sighed and sat down. Just as she hit the ground, Thinnose padded up to her. "Apprentice den is in those rocks over there," She mewed, her eyes unfriendly but not hostile. She turned and walked lightly away, disappearing under the hill. 

Wishpool was already headed to the pile of rocks. Stonevoice turned and caught up with him. "What do you think he means, contest?" She asked. Wishpool shrugged.

"Probably nothing important," He mewed.

They reached the rocks and slipped in. No one was there, but Silverpaw's and Thunderpaw's scents lingered. I guess Creekpaw and Sunpaw haven't been here recently. Just as she thought that, Thunderpaw and Sunpaw appeared at the entrance. 

All of the cats settled down. Stonevoice noted that BlizzardClan cats made their nest of reeds and dead grass. Ew. 

Stonevoice curled up in the uncomfortable bedding. Closing her eyes, she let sleep watch over her.

. . .

"STONEVOICE!!!!!!!!!" A terrible shriek woke Stonevoice. She leapt to her feet, gazing around frantically. She sighed in relief to see that it was only Wishpool.

"What do you want?" She asked.

"It's dawn," Wishpool mewed, "I need your help to wake the others."

"Okay," Stonevoice grumbled. "Just don't scream at me next time." She padded over to Rainstorm and gently prodded her in the side. "Wake up."

Rainstorm murmured and slowly opened her eyes. "See?" Stonevoice told Wishpool. "Screaming is not necessary."

"Hmph," Wishpool mewed.

Stonevoice turned and woke Moonbeam, and then they headed out of the cave. Outside, dew sparkled on the grass. Mist hung in the air. It would've been a beautiful morning if the situation weren't so dire. 

Cats were waking up. They gathered around the ForestClan patrol, glaring hard. Stonevoice glared back. She wasn't going to let any cat intimidate her. 

Wickedcone leapt up onto the Skybranch and let out a yowl. "Let all cats old enough to swim gather here beneath the Skybranch for Clan meeting!"

The cats gathered around excitedly.

"In order to see if these ForestClan cats will be able to get the catmint, we will hold a contest. There will be five challenges, one for each patrol member. Here is how it will work:

"The challenge will be based off of five different BlizzardClan skills. Swimming, fishing, climbing, jumping, and stamina. One: One cat from the patrol and one BlizzardClan cat with compete to find a certain rock hidden at the bottom of the lake. This rock is very noticeable, it has many colors, it is fairly small, and it smells faintly of salt. The first to find the rock wins.

"Two: Again, two cats will compete. They have until sunhigh to catch as much fish as possible. All fish caught will go to the queens and elders.

"Three: There will be an obstacle course. You must go across the large rocks above the warrior's den, then run to the base of the leader's den, climb until you reach the Skybranch, get back down, and pounce on Daffodil. The first to pounce wins.

"Four: Two cats will try to leap to the top of the large, smooth rock beside the medicine cat's den first.

"Five: First, you must go back to the mainland. Then, you must run down to MysteryClan territory and back. First to return will win. Challenge all patrols if necessary."