II

Around the same time, Prem too headed for a walk at the river near the palace. After much insistence, he allowed one of his bodyguards to accompany him. As he strolled at the river, his eyes fell on a person walking back and forth along the river some distance away from him. His heart picked up its pace once again as his hopeful feet began in the direction of that person. He had only covered one thirds the distance when the rhythmic sound of jhanjaran entered his ears and his heart skipped a beat. It was her. Taking a deep breath to compose himself, he carried on. The sound of leaves crushing under his feet pulled her attention to him and she looked up as he arrived.

Freezing in place, "Chief Dhaliwal." Noor was stunned.

Equally misplaced in her presence, "Chief Sandhu." Prem managed a small nod as both their alerted bodyguards stared at them from a distance.

There was silence. Hearts rumbling inside their chests, they both looked on at a loss of words.

"Taking a walk?" Prem finally spoke up.

"Yeah." Noor nodded. "I...really like water."

"Yeah, water is calming." Prem shifted to look forward at the flowing river.

The moments that followed his response brought another silence with them.

"So..." Noor finally looked up to her side at him. "The new Chief of Kurral, huh? How do you like your new position?"

A small smile threatening an appearance of dimples took over Prem's lips as he turned his face towards her again. "It's great. What's not to like in being the most powerful man in Kurral?" He answered slowly. "What about you? Enjoying it, Chief...Sandhu?" He emphasized her title.

Noor allowed a small smile on her lips as well. "Yeah. It's not too bad. The throne is beautiful, but the duties can be a bit much sometimes."

"Oh yeah?" Prem asked in raised eyebrows. "Duties like what?"

"Like killing you." She replied at once.

Prem let out a laugh. "They want you to kill me?"

"As soon as possible." Noor answered without wasting a second.

"Well, I'm right here. Why don't you?" Prem eyed her.

Taking a deep breath Noor took the couple steps needed to close the distance between them. "Because..." she whispered getting teary eyed, "you cannot kill what is already dead."

Her words summoned tears to his eyes as well. "Talking about yourself?" His voice broke a little as he looked deep into her eyes.

For a few moments, they stood absolutely still with their faces subconsciously inching closer and passionate desires burning bright in their eyes. They longed for one another, starving lips craving a taste, skin yearning a touch, but they held back. Getting a hold of themselves, they withdrew.

"Chief?" Noor's bodyguard called out to her interrupting their moment. They hadn't realized when their bodyguards had closed in on them but were well aware they were not going to allow them to stay within each other's reach for much longer.

Taking a step back from Prem, Noor quickly wiped the tears that had spilled out onto her cheek and looked behind her at the guard to see concern written all over his aging face. "I'm coming." She told him half-heartedly.

"Good luck with your upcoming ventures and I'll...get going then." Noor spoke over a sinking heart.

Prem simply looked at her. Eyes saying a thousand words, lips sealed, and heart broken. "Thank you. And good luck to you too." He barely managed looking down.

Noor looked at him one last time before rebelling against every millimeter of her existence and following Sevak back to the palace.

Over a heavy heart, Prem watched her leave until she was no longer visible. He sighed as his senses returned to him and the realization of him being left all alone settled on him once again.

He managed a wipe at his cheek before looking back at his bodyguard. "Say it Hakam. You know you want to." Prem ordered his bodyguard turned friend to divulge his feelings as they began back to their wing of the palace for the night.

"Chief..." Hakam hesitated. "Don't do this to yourself. Please." He pleaded.

"Too late, Hakam. Too late." Prem smiled looking up in the direction Noor had left in.

The next morning saw both the chiefs unwillingly depart the palace for their homes.

It took Prem and company nearly the entire day to reach Kurral. When he arrived home late in the evening, he was informed of one of his servant's house being burned down. He spent the night cleaning out the debris and helping the family make temporary living arrangements nearby. It was not his job as the Chief to physically labor for his people. His job was to simply give orders to resolve conflicts and move on but physical service of the people was the only joy he had left in his otherwise dull life.

Noor's life was just as colorless. She, however, along with her Chief duties, found purpose in the martial arts schools she had started for the girls of her province. Basher was the only province in the kingdom committed to creating female warriors. Noor couldn't stand the thought of a helpless woman so she made it mandatory for every girl in her kingdom to attend martial arts between the ages of 5 and 10. Those who wanted to further pursue martial arts after the age of 10 were more than encouraged to do so. She wanted the women of her kingdom to ferocious and fearless so they were taught the toughest of tactics, techniques, and war strategies by the best and the most capable warriors of Doab. Basher was also the only province with a female regiment in their army. 

Soon, days turned into weeks and weeks into months. Their monotonous lives continued in their usual routines and they lived on lifelessly, thinking of one another every moment of every single day. When the date for the next assembly was set, their hearts rejoiced.

****

PRECAP - His words brought tears to her eyes and she suddenly found herself acting on the urge she had suppressed for a long time. Without thinking once, she ran right back up to him, threw her arms around his neck and kissed him with every last ounce of the passion inside her.

****