XIV

As the night fell, the children of the most prominent families of Doab piled into the large entertainment hall and took their seats on the comfortable cushions laid out. Prem, as always, was seated next to the Prince between the men. There was still some time for the dancers' arrival, so conversation picked up between the friends.

"Attention, attention, attention! I've got some breaking news." Spoke one their friends. "Have you guys heard that Chief Dhaliwal has been given an official marriage proposal for Chand Gill?"

"Not again." Prem shook his head as the rest of the room looked on in surprise. "The Prince, of all people, is getting married. Talk about him for once."

"How generous of you, Prem Dhaliwal!" Prince Udam exclaimed. "Give me some attention, everyone...says the one who has stolen my share of attention since he was in the womb!"

A restricted smile took over Prem's lips and he lowered his eyes shaking his head once again.

"But what's the problem, Prem? Chand's beautiful and she comes from a good family." One of his friends stated.

"You like her?" Prem turned towards him. His friend nodded. "Then you marry her!" Prem told him.

"Prem..." One of the girl's spoke. "From the way you're reacting to the marriage proposal, I have to ask you this. Legend has it..." She said slowly looking around as the room grew silent. "That when you were abroad, studying, you fell so passionately in love with a girl that you never looked at another girl again...Yes or No?"

Prem looked around the silent room at the curious faces staring back at him for an answer. Inhaling, he sneaked a glance at Noor, "maybe..." He remarked looking back at the questioner summoning a collective gasp from the room.

"You know...maybe can also mean yes." The same girl commented.

"I know...it can also mean yes." Prem repeated in his spell-binding smile.

"Not fair, Prem! Not fair." One of the other girls asserted. "If she exists, she has no idea how many hearts are being broken because of her."

Fighting his classic shy smile, Prem managed one more glance in Noor's direction before responding. "I think she might have an idea..." Charm oozed out of his words as he lowered his gaze and the group of girls watched on smitten.

"I'm sure she's no less of a heartbreaker herself." Prince Udam interrupted them, also glimpsing over at Noor. In response to which, Noor too lowered her eyes to the ground.

A few moments later, she was summoned by one of her friends for a quick errand. It was in her absence that the dancers arrived in the hall. The sound of their dancing bells entering the room captured everyone's attention.

"You are now in the presence of Prince Udam Singh Brar." The spokesperson announced to the dancers.

The head dancer made her way to the Prince and bowed before him. "Please accept my greetings, Your Grace."

"Welcome." Prince Udam nodded leaned back royally into his cushion.

The head dancer then shifted her attention to man seated majestically to the right of the Prince, Prem. "Haseena greets the Chief of Kurral." She bowed before Prem too. Prem nodded in response to her greeting.

"Haseena, the Chief of Kurral is extremely difficult to impress. They say no matter how beautiful, how talented the woman, Chief Dhaliwal would not look at her twice. We'd acknowledge your world renowned magic if you could get him to melt!" One of the girls challenged the dancer.

"Is that right?" The dancer eyed Prem in a raised eyebrow. She slowly leaned forward and grabbed his hand. Kissing it, she lowered it back to his lap ever so gently. "We will see." She spoke in a lowered seductive tone maintaining their eye contact. Prem simply smiled at her attempt.