Chapter 6: Rules

"We need to talk," Gavin whispered, taking Adrian under the arm.

"Can it wait," he seethed, but quickly took back his retort.

"I need your help in finding some documents."

"Not normal ones I take it," he was curious now, Gavin could have pretty much whatever he wanted; what was so important.

"I need you to get the copies of the trade letters, specifically ones written by my dearest aunt Irah, and then I would like the latest military movements; who went overseas, where they're going specifically. Can you do that for me?"

Adrain nodded slightly, "Why can't you just ask for them?"

"If I ask, my request goes straight to my aunt, I would like to keep this from her."

"Understood." Then Adrian vanished. Gavin trusted his friend, trusted he knew what he was doing; he still couldn't shake the feeling his aunt was part of something bigger.

"Phillip please," Serena begged.

"You don't need to worry yourself with why we need so many soldiers, I know your role at home, but that's not your concern here."

"What do you know of troop movements or battlefield strategy; do you even know what the strengths and weaknesses of the soldiers, you now have possession of, are," She demanded planting herself between the door and Phillip.

"Serena, I know this is your area of expertise, but I have people who specialize in war. They are much older than you, they know the land better than you, and they know how to learn their soldiers. Your only job now is to relax." Serena bit her lip before she could say something truly damming. "I know you're used to your people's customs, but those are not ours."

"So what, I'm a..." she rolled her hand, dramatizing her annoyance.

"You're to be the empress of the Otomo empire."

"I'm assuming your definition of a queen is different from mine." She couldn't tell what expression was on her face, but it put Phillip on edge. "Because," she continued, "when I think of a queen I think: A strong political figure who has input on law, a presence in society, someone well respected by her peers and feared by her enemies, A strong capable warrior." He wasn't scared anymore, it was a cool disposition.

"No, it's not. When I think of a queen I think of a loyal wife, a beacon for women, a trendsetter. I know." he said, placing his hands on her shoulders, his tone becoming softer, "It's going to be hard for you to adjust, and I also know you won't let our tradition change you. I also promise that when my empire is more stable, we will work on changing our people's views; but you're going to have to play the part for a few years at least." He made sense, that didn't mean she had to like it though.

She sighed, releasing the tension, "Be seen, not heard." He nodded, squeezing her shoulders a bit.

"Oh, I may have forgotten to mention something," he said, pulling his hands down and backing away. What the hell had he done? "There may be some very angry women when we get there."

The princess only laughed, "So check my food, and never be out after dark." Phillip's eyebrows raised the slightest bit, the only sign he was curious, as Serena flung open the door and sauntered onto the deck.

"I hate your stupid rules," the princess exclaimed, slamming the door to her cabin.

"What happened," he asked, rubbing his eyes.

"Oh I don't know Phillip, what do your rules say about women drinking in the company of men? Or how about training?"

"You shouldn't be up this late." Her eyes were aglow with anger and the promise of violence. "What are you looking for," the prince demanded, sitting up.

"You shouldn't be up this late either, your highness, don't allow me to keep you..." Serena stopped dead as she saw the scar just beneath his ribcage.

"You're not the only one with scars," he offered, making room for her next to him. The fire burning in her slowly turned into something else, something more dangerous. "I went to a part of the city I probably shouldn't have been in; got in a fight," he offered, feeling the marred flesh, "I chose to leave it there." Her lips trembled a bit with anger, he chose to leave the scar as some sick reminder to listen to his father. He probably didn't realize she couldn't get rid of the ugly thing streaking down her back, Serena didn't stop to think through the words as they slid out of her mouth.

"I didn't ask and I don't care. I hate your people, I hate this ship, I hate your traditions, and I hate you." Then she pulled the dagger from the dresser and stormed out of the room. Who was he to think he knew her.

She didn't know what she was doing with the dagger, she wasn't going to stab the crew. She wanted to fly off and never come back, but they were too far out for her to go anywhere. She continued to funnel wind into the sails, something to keep her mind off what she said to Phillip. She flew to the crow's nest to find solitude. "Nest," she sighed, sitting on the edge of the lookout.

"Anything I can do you for, princess," a kind voice asked behind her, in a very broken common tongue.

"Not unless you can leave," she sighed, staring out to the stars. The voice chuckled a bit,

"I know what it's like to go to a place with odd traditions and rules. It does get better."

"I don't think it will," she breathed. She closed her eyes, why was this so hard. When she turned to look for the voice she saw a brawny dark-skinned sailor. "You're from the provinces," she questioned, that's why his accent was so thick.

"Yes," he said sadly. He was a slave, judging by the scars on his wrists. Serena's eyes widened, here she was complaining about her life and he was a slave.

"I'm sorry." He raised his hand to cut her off.

"No need," he said, "I'm used to this life, my master's not awful. I understand what it feels like; to be brought to a strange land against your will."

"Here I am freaking out because they wouldn't let me train with them," she sighed, swinging her legs into the basket-shaped landing.

"Would you like some advice," he asked, turning his back to her, "Be good to the people around you, they'll make your life easier." Serena took that advice and tucked it away to ponder. Phillip could make her life easier, he had tried. Did he know she hadn't meant she hated him?

"Can I ask which one of you oafs kicked the princess out of your sparring circles," Phillip asked, approaching the captain's quarters.

"I did your majesty," one said, one of the captains who had followed his father here.

"Captain Morgan, correct," Phillip asked, letting ice coat his words.

"Yes sir."

"Do you outrank the princess?"

"No, Sir."

"Then what made you think you could run her from your sparing circle."

"I...I assumed you wouldn't want your promised to be conducting herself in such a way, Sir."

"So now you believe you may speak for me?"

"N.n.no.."

Phillip cut him off, "you will allow the princess to train with you when and how she likes. If she decides she wants to spar, you will oblige her. Is that understood?"

"Yes your majesty," sounded in unison. Phillip then turned on his heels and marched straight back to bed. Oafs, that's who his people were, or at least some.

Serena came back well after three in the morning, she felt a bit better after talking to Lou. Phillip was sleeping like the dead, but there was a letter sitting on the stand next to him.

You're now welcome to spare with the captains. I'm sorry the transitions hard, and I don't exactly know how to help. I hope proving them wrong will.

Yours truly, Phillip.

Short and sweet. Serena's heart skipped a beat as she plopped down on the couch, tomorrow will be better.