Chapter10: Worries

"Do you have pets," Serena asked, laying across the bed.

"Hounds?"

"Never mind." The princess had never been an ocean away from home, what kind of animals, and plants did they have? Was the weather mild or severe, or maybe temperate? How cold did it get, she'd have to have clothes made for her if it snowed. Would she be allowed to keep up her training schedule? What were the rules about the Queen's court?

"What's wrong."

"You know I would appreciate it if you stayed out of my head," Serena yawned, sitting up to look at him. Her mouth parted a bit, how had she never realized how muscled he was. She knew he was strong but this.

"I wasn't," he added, turning to reveal a toned powerful back, "you play with that ring when you're stressed." She didn't even realize.

"Oh so you're a behavior expert now," she laughed, laying back down.

"Nope," he smiled, placing his hands beside her head, "You're just easy to read." She swallowed hard, giving him a wry smile. She trusted Phillip to some degree, but what the hell was he doing. "Relax, I'm not going to throw myself onto you," he said, retreating to put on a different shirt. "Unless you ask," he added with no shame.

"Do you just enjoy when I'm flustered," Serena demanded, trying and failing to fight the heat rising on her face.

His smile didn't fade as he laid down next to her, "Perhaps."

Serena could hear the crowds before she could see them; she wondered if they knew their emperor was dead. "You look stunning," Phillip said, walking into the room with three servants tailing him.

"The same could be said of you." Serena wasn't kidding; Phillip looked amazing in his perfectly fitted navy and gold coat. Realizing it wasn't the one he wore when they met. He gave her a faint smile as one servant handed her a box. She pulled out a golden tiara, studded in sapphires, that would sit on her brow. "What's this for?"

"That's something that uncrowned empresses wear." More traditions, more rules. The princess thought she could get on board with this one though.

"Is this the only one I'm allowed to wear," she asked, turning it over in her hands.

"Till you're crowned," He explained, gently placing it on her head.

"Phillip?" She'd been meaning to ask him this question for a while now but never worked up the nerve, somehow not knowing had seemed better till now. "Do you own slaves?" He tilted his head, confused by the sudden question.

"My father did, I suppose they're mine now though."

"Do you agree with slavery?"

"No, but again it's one of those things that will take a while to resolve. Unfortunately, it plays a large part in this side of the world. It's outlawed in your lands, isn't it?" She nodded, staring down at the planks. "Then you'll have ideas on how to end it here," Phillip asked. With that Serena rose.

"I think I might."