Chapter 8: Past intent

"I heard Negosian healers were the best in the world."

"You would have heard right," Serena said, probing the cut on her forehead, "Our healers have all types of magic, herbs, and remedies. They can fix anything."

"Not everything," Alec questioned, tilting his head back a bit. Serena pulled her wings up over the scar.

"That's none of your concern."

"Forgive me, Princess." She nodded slightly as they pushed into the med bay. The healer on duty gasped as she looked at them, quickly herding the princess to the nearest bed while another healer guided Alec. They knew each other because Serena could hear her scolding Alec while she worked.

"What have I told you about picking fights, and with the Princess of all things." Serena hissed when the healer put a hand to her head, it felt like fire; another healer quickly came to pick her work. They were quiet as they worked, and silent when they walked; trained as servants no doubt. This healer's touch was cold as she wiped away the broken and bruised skin, leaving only red patches in its wake.

"May I look at your back please?" As Serena sat up and turned she could hear the healers gasp, almost feel her magic seeping in above the scar. She didn't hesitate further, wiping away the injuries she received during their match. That same pudding feeling in her legs returned.

"Why does it feel like this," Serena questioned, not being able to lift her legs much.

"We use different methods than your healers do, so it might take you a while to adjust; you can lay here till you feel better if you like."

The princess huffed as she laid back down, "Alec, fetch Phillip for me would you." She tried to keep her smile pleasant, the absolute prick thought that his healers could get rid of something that no one had even gotten close to removing.

"Is something wrong?" Yeah, there was a whole lot wrong.

"No," Serena said politely, "I was just wondering why you would have healers working on me while I slept." He pulled up a chair, struggling for the 'right words'.

"I just thought, that maybe if we could find a way to get rid of the scar you'd be happier, more relaxed." What an absolute idiot.

"And you weren't going to tell me?"

"I figured because it didn't work you'd be upset, so yeah."

"I appreciate your concern, but this, for whatever reason won't go away; so I would appreciate it if you let it be."

"I will if you tell me why you want to keep it." She forgot she couldn't lie to him.

"Screw you," she said, turning on her side, revealing her scar to him.

"So, you will be kind to me when it's convenient, but when it's not this is how it'll be?" She didn't answer him. "Or are you acting this way because I touched something that's been festering for years, something that you haven't told anyone? What is it Serena that scares you about this scar." He traced the scar until she pulled away, almost throwing herself off the bed.

"I keep it as a reminder," she whispered, trying to keep her voice from breaking, "One to remind me what my power can do, and the other to remind me that anything can be corrupted and infected under the right circumstance."

"You don't even know who I am, do you?"

"Amira Richardson," Serena got out through clenched teeth.

"Yes, yes. You could probably rattle off what I've done with my life, where I live, who my father is, who I work for, but do you know who my mother is Serena?" Serena screamed as Amira skinned part of her arm.

"My mother is Irah Jaynes."

"Liar." The princess screamed again as Amira plunged a dagger through Serena's foot.

"No, I'm what you call an accident. I was kept a secret, and when she gave birth to me, they dumped me on the streets. I suppose it was our grandfather's idea," she continued, dragging a knife down Serena's untouched arm. "I was taken in by a local, raised to see the truth, do you know the truth, Serena?" Amira stabbed Serena's back, dragging it down. Serena bit her lip so hard it bled, but she would not scream. "The truth is that the entire Titan thing is a waste, why have so many things to worship," Amira whispered in Serena's ear, pulling the knife along. Serena's vision started to spot, she'd lost too much blood. "This will make sure you remember," Amira added, pouring something into the wound. Serena could feel her skin knitting together, scarring. Amira went to make an identical mark; an 'X' slicing down her back. Before the knife made contact lightning shot from Serena frying anything in the room. Amira crumpled; nothing but a pile of ash now.

Phillip took a shaky breath as she showed him the reason the scar was permanent. Tears streamed down her face, as the lighting shot from her. He pulled her from the memory, bringing her back to the ship. "You didn't have to show me that," he breathed, cradling her head. Feeling her fear was one of the most horrific things he'd ever experienced-- This memory... this was... there was no way to explain it.

"I figured... my betrothed should know," she quirked her lip to the side, trying to joke. Phillip pressed a kiss to her forehead.

"You have the worst timing," he breathed onto her skin.