3 ➳ Expectations

I'm so glad that many of you are liking this story! It's only been 2 chapters (which weren't even that long) and you're all hyped about this so it makes me really happy. Enjoy this chapter as well, hopefully it won't suck to you guys. P.S This is unedited since I'm too lazy to look it over.

I repeatedly tap my pen against the desk, right next to my filled out paper, while my eyes stay planted across the room. He's still writing his essay. Stefan is still writing the damn essay. How hard is it to fill out a paper on World Religion? Fuck, I finished almost an hour ago and I'm left in utter boredom.

Stefan obviously gave my number to Klaus. The devil in disguise saw me with Stefan and asked him for my freakin' number. It took me a while to put two and two together, but it's all finalized now and I need to talk with my best friend's boyfriend.

He finally pulls out his chair and stands up, stepping down the steps to get to our professor's desk. I immediately drop my pen and pick up the sheets, beginning to stand and push in my chair as Stefan puts his paper on the desk. I clamber down the stairs and watch him walk out of the door drowsily.

"Hayley, it took you quite a long time to finish up today," Professor William speaks up when I place my papers down.

"Oh, uh... I had a late night last night," I lie and force a smile to which he nods at before dismissing me. I almost run out in order to catch up to Stefan, but he's already there gleaming at the stupid bulletin board.

"Stef," I call out to get his attention, and he turns to see me. A smile gets passed onto me but I cross my arms over my chest when I reach him, "Why the hell did you give Klaus my number?"

He parts his lips for a second but they break off into a light chuckle, "Can I ask you why he wanted it in the first place?" He challenges.

"No, you cannot," I murmur.

"Well then, it's too bad that I'm going to ask anyway," He grins and I roll my eyes.

"It's too bad I'm not going to answer," I shrug.

"Why does it matter if I gave him your number? Just...don't answer. Block his number for all I care," Stefan says as he begins to walk away and I groan before catching up to him so that we walk side by side.

"Because I can't," I throw my hands in the air in exaggeration.

"Can't," He glances at me, "Or won't?" He shakes his head and turns for the exit of the building.

"Ugh," I mumble and follow him, "It's complicated."

"It shouldn't have to be. I'm guessing you guys had a run-in or something?" He assumes and I nod. "So what'd you guys talk about to make it so 'complicated'?" He snickers. I roll my eyes. It's not complicated, yet it is.

"That's not important," I concur.

"Then him calling you shouldn't be important either," He points his finger at me and sighs when I frown at him. He slings his arm around my shoulder and hauls me into his side. I have a feeling this is the cue for an upcoming protective guy friend talk.

"Listen, Klaus may seem cool and I definitely agree with that, but he can also be a bad guy," He tells me.

And I was right. It's the protective guy friend talk.

"Right," I drag my word while sending him a look.

"I just don't want to see you hurt, or you showing up at Rebekah and I's doorstep with a pool of tears in process," He assures and I shrug his arm off my shoulder.