Chapter 15 - Sweetly Sour and Artful Siblings

The insane amount of satisfaction I relished while watching the anger rise in Angelica was off the charts. Joy bubbled in my stomach, even a little bit of wariness, and the corners of my ecstatic smile had reached up to my cheeks – I mean, what a way to take down a supposed 'Queen Bee'.

Although my evident calmness showed no sign of fear, the urgency of getting away from Angelica's warpath slowly increased in the back of my mind. Either that or damnation would be sure to follow me.

"I can't believe this!" The piercing sound of Angelica's shriek, followed by an agitated scream gained attention from some of the guests around us. "Look at what you did to my hair!" She screamed out, almost like a cry.

I watched as whipped cream seeped down through the fine, velvety strands of her strawberry-blonde hair, and dense caramel sticky syrup plopped off her freaky spider-eyelashes. And while she faffed around with her long locks during my continued state of euphoria, Ash reached over to take the other drink out of my hand before anyone significant spotted our situation.

Angelica's frustration was on full display; her dark eyebrows furrowed and crossed, lips frowned and her fiery brown eyes narrowed on me, practically staring into my soul. I purposely challenged her with my own dark blue eyes; it was brave, and not to mention, exceptionally stupid of me to do.

Not even a minute later, I unexpectedly faltered and let my eyes back down from her fierce glare. Curiosity and a little panic flooded through me when a sudden recollection of Angelica's facial features came to me. In that moment, I was sure I knew her from somewhere.

Just the mere negative memory of having seen her before, somewhere hard to pinpoint, the thought of it alone made me seize up in tension. Apprehension took over me in her presence as the short, unclear memory started to worry me.

My eyes lowered in thought as the sight of her features, especially the outline of her eyes flashed before me again, but from somewhere else. Her eye makeup was different, more vibrant, harsher, and honestly, it scared me for a second.

Where have I seen you before, Angelica? And why do I feel the need to hit you?

My chest started to rise and settle, slowly and inconspicuously. No one noticed it.

What was happening to me?

Ash swiftly raised his arm to shield my body for an unknown reason. It prevented me from falling into my habitual trance and I set my gaze onto it, wondering why he did that. My eyes trailed up to see Angelica ready to act on her fury and Ash shaking his head at her.

Snapping out of anything that was stopping my thoughts and actions, naturally, I chose to do what I do best.

Putting on an assertive smile, I boldly voiced, "Next time, Angelica, perhaps you should try drinking from the cup."

The audacious statement left my mouth and I immediately shot out of the confinements around me and weaved through a few guests heading straight for the exit.

A bitter, sharp and loud guttural groan reverberated in the open space behind me over the pulsating shouts of my friends calling for me.

Damn, Angelica is going to kill me, I thought as I rushed outside.

I sprinted away from the crime scene and refused to look back. With the hotel out of sight, I sneaked a look behind and when I didn't recognise anyone, I let myself fall into a walk.

Walking over a cobblestone pathway, my head raised to a fresh, sweet aroma of pastries lingering closer to me as I passed a forming queue outside a patisserie. An exquisite smell escaped every time the glass door jingled open and close.