☆Chapter 37☆

Star is such a beautiful word for whoever's enthralled just by looking at it. There is a huge reason behind my infatuation for them. I don't like them just because they shine so bright or that they're mesmerizing but because they are somehow in a way parallel to the humans’ personality traits.

Most people know them by their outstanding “shine” but they tend to forget that they're made up of gases, consisting of hydrogen and helium. 

When you look at them closely, like real close, as in being-in-a-space-close, you would come to know that they're very boring. They aren't the shiny things we think they are. 

Same goes with humans. We just look and judge a person from a far away distance. We think that they're the most boring people to exist but once you know them, they're actually able to break your expectations and turn out to be the fun ones to talk to.

It is because of this reality, I find the quality of the stars somehow relatable. It is as if they're describing me.

I was continually gazing up at the sky, lost in my own thoughts when Mason nudged me from the side. We were both laying down on the sand in the beach and staring up at the dark skies. The waves were crashing against the shore, giving those peaceful vibes just like I had wanted merely a few hours ago.

I averted my gaze to look at him questioningly. “Hmm?”

“Just wanted to make sure whether or not you were sleeping with your eyes open. Seems like you weren't.” With that said, he went back to looking at the skies. He was smiling for some reason while I stared at him in admiration. That simple smile just brightened up his entire face. “You know, I thought that you found the stars more appealing than me,” he remarked, turning to me.

My cheeks were burning red in abashment because I was caught red handed staring at him. I don't know what made me not look away but every time I would stare at him, something in my heart would pull, in a good way though. 

A feathery feeling in my body puts my soul at rest. I know that it might sound poetic but that's what I love. I love that he has turned me into some sappy poetess who starts admiring everything that meets the eye. 

“Um… I was wondering why you're smiling, that’s all.”

“It's nothing you should wonder about,” he told me but I could tell that he was hiding something. I didn't want to pester him so I kept mum. After a few minutes of silence passed, he spoke again. “Tell me your dreams.” It was not a demand or anything. His voice was soft, free from any rudeness.

“Did you just quote the title of Sidney’s book?” I asked him, snorting because his words were the same as the name of one of the books by our favorite author. 'Yes, I do remember that he loves Sidney Sheldon.' He shrugged with a wink. “Well… promise me, you… you wouldn't judge me, right?” I asked him because I have never told anyone about my dreams. Not even my mom. Talking about my dreams has always been my weak point. I feel like people might laugh on my face for thinking so big.

“You offend me, Rach,” he said, looking hurt and I instantly regretted my words. I was just trying to protect my own self esteem, completely forgetting about how he might feel because of that mere question. “You know, I wouldn't do that. But if it makes you feel better then I promise,” he assured me with a small smile but it didn't quite reach his eyes.

“I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to… I mean, it's just that I have this habit of making sure especially when I have never told this to anyone. My reluctance always makes its way so…” I trailed off, hoping he would understand and accept my apology.

“I get it but just remember,” he said and gazed deeply into my eyes. I found empathy and comfort in his dark orbs. “That I won't judge you, like ever.”