Part 4

"Ms. Dorothea, we have your son out of surgery" the nurse came out and informed Dave's mom. "Thank God," she said with a sigh of relief. The nurse looked at her and said: "he is stable at least, but during the surgery, he slipped into a coma." The nurse's words broke her down. Like it wasn't bad enough that she found her son and nephew bleeding out in her deceased mother's home, but now her son is laying in a hospital bed in a coma, and she has no idea why or who did it to him. But I had a good idea that it had something to do with that bitch Amber that was currently nowhere to be found.

I held Ms. Dorothea in my arm. "Jayden, who would do this to my baby?" The question broke my heart. Dave, Rico, and I had grown up as not just best friends but brothers from diapers. When my mom lost her cancer battle, Ms. Dorothea said no son of her best friend was going into the system and took me in. She gave me everything that Dave had. So today was my turn to be here for her. I just wish I could take her pain away.

As I held her and told her everything was going to be okay, the elevator door opened. I was honestly expected to see Amber step out. Maybe then my head could convince my gut was wrong. And she was innocent. But stepped out, an older lady that looked like she was fighting for that last bit of life she had. "Hi my name is Clara Piers I got a call that my son Rico well Remario Piers was here," she said as she looked at the nurse at the front desk. I watched as the nurse told her to hold and then grabbed a doctor.

The doctor came over and spoke to her, and you can tell he was delivering bad news. The scream Ms. Clara let out when the doctor said, "Ma'am I am sorry we did all we could do but we pronounced your son dead 20 mins." made the whole room jump and look. When Ms. Dorothea turned around and laid eyes on her sister as she ran to console her.

"Clara, I'm sorry. Clara, I'm so sorry," she said as she held her tightly. Ms. Clara screamed into her sister's chest, "not my son! Not my baby!" The way Ms. Dorothea was loving on her sister and showing her support. You would have never known that these two ladies hadn't talked in years.

As if this day wasn't bad enough for these two ladies, day out the corner of my eye, I see a cop walking towards them. "This fucker," I said as I walked towards him to stop him. "excuse me," he said as I stared him down. "Nah, not right now, my guy," I told him. "Are those the mothers of David Lott and Remario Piers?" he asked. "yes it is, but right now ain't the time," I answered him. "Well, the sooner we get questioning out the way, the quicker we can find their killer." the police officer said. "yo are you stupid. These ladies are hurting right now, and you think I'm letting you question them right now. You cops don't care about people or have any respect for what they are going through."

I said to him. "Sir, Mr...." I interrupted him, "Smith... Mr. Smith." "Okay, Mr. Smith, well your Martin Luther King speech is nice but not needed I'm just trying to do my job." He said. "And I'm doing mine and that's protecting them from people like you!" I told him. "Are you even family?" He asked. "I'm the closest thing to it." I answered. "Those are my best friends that were found today. One is still fighting for his life and the other just lost his.. their moms are sisters and since they can't be here for their mothers, i'm." I said with a mean mug. The cop tried to go around me, and I blocked him. He nodded his head "you know what Here's my card. When they are ready to talk, have them call me." he said as he handed me his card before walking off.

"Ass hole," I mumbled as he walked away from.

I walked over to the ladies, and I tapped Ms. Dorothea on the back. "Mom, I'm in the room with Dave, "I told her. Clara lifted her. "Dave's here too," she asked" Ms. Dorothea looked down. "Yes, I found him and Rico both at momma's house shot," she said sadly. "So my son dies and your lives? This is just like before; everything goes well for Dorothea while I sit by the side and suffer." Clara retorted. I looked at her, confused. "Clara, this is not about you and me. I called the police at the same time for both boys. One didn't get better care than the other," she said to her. "Then why didn't you call me? And why did my son die while you're lived?" Clara asked.