Part 1

I was sitting in a women's empowerment meeting when the lady leading the discussion called me out

I was sitting in a women's empowerment meeting when the lady leading the discussion called me out. "Amber, what's your story? Tell us why you're here." I sat there in silence for a moment. Then I finally spoke and said," well, I'm dating Mr. Right, but I'm in love with Mr. Wrong.

The entire room looked at me, and then I realized how crazy what I just said sounded. But hell, it was my truth. I was dating Dave, and things were good. He was a knight in shining armor. He was everything I had dreamed of; he was confident, courageous; he listened to me when I talked; he paid attention to details; he was humble, and he was a well-respected lawyer. I had a love for him; I mean, we had been together for a few years now, and we lived together. But I had to admit I didn't truly love him. If I did, I wouldn't step out on him from time to time with Rico.

Now, Rico, I loved his ass, and I was in love with his ass; in the words of Ms. Mary J Blige, I love my Mr. Wrong. I met Rico in the club one night when Dave was out of town on business. I needed to let down my hair and not pretend to be perfect like I usually had to do when Dave and I went out. So I took that time to do just that. My sister Brandy and I got dressed and went right to the hood to let loose.

Rico wasn't my regular pick, but something about him pulled me into him. After six months of messing around, finding out about his multiple kids and baby moms, his name and rep in the streets, that he still lived at his momma house, and his anger and control issues, I'm still here holding on to him.

The lady sitting to the left of me asked, "so why are you here?" I looked at her, wondering why she was all up in my business. And then I sat silent; the honest answer was because I was tired of living a double life. I was lying to both guys and honestly felt like I was on my way to getting caught. I mean, I could only keep telling Dave I was with Brandy, or Brandy had my car so many more times before he ran into her, and she blew my cover, and it would be no one's fault but my own. Or worse, he sees Rico driving my car that is insured in Dave's name, and Dave pays the car note for.

But I wasn't about to tell these hoes that; I don't know them to completely airing my dirty laundry. So, I flashed my ring and said, "Well, my Mr. Right proposed. But I can't leave my Mr. Wrong alone." "why not?" the same girl asked. I gave her the stare of death because she was all up in my business. "Honestly, my lady box screams out for him," I answered her. Rico makes love to me in a way that Dave doesn't. He's down for it whenever and wherever; in the car, in the park, 69 or anal. I looked around the room to see the ladies' reactions. They all had facial expressions that let me know that they weren't judging me or what I was saying.

Now don't get me wrong, Mr. Right was packing, and he had a good stroke game. But everything was so routine and predictable. At home, in the bed with the lights off. Mostly in the missionary position, and about 10 or 15 strokes. And he was good. He was never willing to change up to or take a risk. All I wanted was for him to lose control a little bit simply.

That's why he and Rico were so different. Shit, that's why I felt like I needed Rico, he was everything Dave wasn't. The two of them were like night and day. And although the night was a little scary, I loved the thrill it brought. But we all know you can't live in the nightlife forever. So, it was the time that I prepared myself for the light of day.