Chapter 3: Rule Four

"The world is burning, and we are the flames." - Michael T. Coe

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hawks?" Mel came up behind me, rubbing the back of her head. "What are you doing here? I thought you were positioned in Tokyo!"

Hawks clicked his tongue. "Sometimes plans change, sweet cheeks. Turns out, I'm needed here." 

Mel giggled, and pushed passed me, coming at Hawks with a bone-crushing hug. I stood there awkwardly and waited for their embrace to be over. Blech, love. It's disgusting. 

After several grueling moments, they finally separated. Hawks smiled at me, a bright red lipstick mark on his neck. 

"Wassup, Moonshine? You treating my girl here right?" He asked, stepping further into the restaurant and pulling Melody into his side. Mel clung to him like a leech to a fish, staring up at him with a Cheshire grin. 

"I should be asking you that question, since you couldn't even tell her you were back in town." Hawks's bright smile faltered slightly, and his golden eyes flashed a little darker.

"I wanted to surprise her with a date later, but instead you ran into me here." Hawks countered.

I scoffed. "More like you ran into me. Why are you in such a rush anyway?" Hawks's eyes narrowed. Mel looked back and forth between us. It looked like she wanted to intervene, but she didn't want to leave Hawks's side. 

"Well, you know me, heh. The hero who's just a little too fast," he tried to play off the situation, like I wouldn't notice his bullshit. I opened my mouth to say something ironic, but Mel cut me off. 

"Anywayssss, how long are you back in town for?" She asked, moving to stand between us. 

"Just for today. The mission in Tokyo was postponed a day. Somethin' about the mayor's daughter's wedding." Hawks grinned at her, and I watched him look her up and down. 

Here it comes...

"D'ya wanna come back to my place tonight? We can... savor the time I have left in town." He said with a trying, sultry tone. 

There it is

Mel blushed, fluttering her eyelashes. "Well, I was gonna stay late at the office and finish up on some paperwork... but I'm sure my interns can handle it." She giggled, and I rolled my eyes. 

Did I mention love is disgusting?

"Nice, c'me over around eight?" Melody nodded, giving Hawks another excruciatingly long hug. I looked at my phone to avoid watching them and realized I only had three minutes left of my lunch break. 

"Well, I'd hate to break up this lovely moment, but I gotta go. Endeavor hates lateness." I said gruffly, walking towards the door. "Bye, Mel!" I yelled over my shoulder, and walked out of the restaurant without a response. They were probably too busy smooching to notice I left. 

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Mel. She's sweet, gorgeous and hilarious, and absolutely fantastic to be around. But I also know that she deserves the best in the world, and I didn't think Hawks fit that description. He was always flirting with his fans, and he was always gone on missions in different cities. I can't tell you how many nights Mel showed up at my apartment because she couldn't sleep and Hawks wouldn't answer the phone. She dedicated all her free time to him, and he didn't do anything to reciprocate her attention.