02 The Night We Met

The air got warmer as it advanced into May. It had been a few weeks since Cam ran away.

Staying with her brother was everything she'd ever dreamt of and more. But she still felt lost in life.

She hadn't spoken to any of her friends or even gone on her phone that much. Her dad didn't even try to contact her or drag her home. It's like he didn't even care that she was gone.

As she huddled up in the corner of her bed, she thought to herself.

She was confused as to why she wasn't happy. She was away from her dad, what more did she want?

She wanted someone. She wanted someone to pull her out of her funk.

She needed new people in her life. But she had to wait for them to find her.

But they needed to find her soon, she was in her head.

She needed them now but she didn't know them yet.

Cam jumped at the sound of a knock on her bedroom door, pulling her from her thoughts.

"Yeah?" She shouted as she pulled a blanket over her.

"Can I come in?" Clay responded.

"Mhm."

The door swung open and Clay crept in.

"Hey, how you doing kiddo?" He said with a warm smile as he sat on the end of her bed.

She shrugged. "I don't know."

Clay's expression turned into concern.

"Well what's on your mind?" He asked.

Cam sighed, not knowing how to put her emotions in words.

"That's the thing... I don't know. There's a feeling inside of me and I just can't pinpoint what it is. It's like... emptiness." Cam looked up at her brother as she continued her rant. "I feel that there's a space missing. And don't get me wrong... living here has been amazing and I can't thank you enough but I feel like that emptiness might exist with dad."

Clay's eyebrows furrowed as he tried to understand his sister's feelings.

"What do you mean with dad?" He asked.

"I miss him." She blurted. "I mean... I hate him and he's a terrible person but there were days where he was sober and he was such a good person. I miss that. And I'm starting to think that maybe it was my fault that he went ballistic. I was back talking him. I just feel so guilty and feel like I egged him on and-"

"Cam!" He sighed.

"I understand. But you have to realize that it's not your fault. He was drunk. You are in no way to be blamed. And you also have to ask yourself... do you miss him? Or do you miss the memories?"

Cam started playing with her fingers, not knowing how to answer his question.

"I'll leave you to think." Clay said as he put a hand on her shoulder. "Just shout if you need anything."