::five::

To Sloane: is it alright if we meet up this evening? I have to finish a few drawings of your mouth before we move on to the next part

"Who are you texting, dear?"

My mother's voice caught my attention. I sat the phone down, accidentally smiling as I saw her name pop up on the screen. I decided to wait a couple minutes before replying, mainly because my mother was clearly curious to start a conversation.

"The model for my class."

"Oh. Is it a boy or a girl?"

"A woman, Mum, not a girl." I chuckled gently, she seems to forget sometimes that I'm older now and those words are childish.

"A woman?" She raised a brow at me. 

I nodded, opening up my phone screen to read her message.

From Sloane: that's fine! Where at? 

To Sloane: wherever you prefer

"Hm. You aren't.. crushing on this woman, are you?"

"No, Mum. M'not. She's just friendly. I quite enjoy our sessions."

She tilted her head back and gave me a smirk. "Okay, lovey. Whatever you say."

I huffed at her. "I don't like her that way, Mum."

••

The cafe smelt of fresh baked muffins and coffee, but of course when I sat down across from her all I could smell was cherry perfume. I smiled gently when she looked up at me from her phone. She locked it and laid it down on the table.

"Hey, Harry."

"Hey, Sloane. How are you?"

Her smile grew. "Good. What about you?"

I grabbed my sketchbook from my bag. "Pretty good, I guess."

"Did you work today?"

"Um, I did, yes."

She nodded slowly while her red fingernails picked at a blueberry muffin on a cafe napkin. "How was it?"

Of course I noticed how her voice went softer. Something must be on her mind again. It was in my best interests to not ask her, though. I started sketching the outline of her lips.

"Good."

"Do you work every day?"

"Um.." I erased a section of the drawing that I didn't like all that much and went to fix it. "No. I work on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursday's, and sometimes on Fridays."

"That's a good schedule. How long are the classes you teach?"

"Um, they range from about two hours to five hours. Sometimes I just like to stay with the kids longer than how long the lesson takes."

She smiled sweetly as she caught my eye. "That's really sweet. Your soul is definitely made of gold."

I chuckled at her assumption and gave her a little shrug. "Perhaps."

Sloane went silent for a long moment, which slightly concerned me. When I moved my gaze up to focus on the plumpness of her bottom lip, she already had her eyes fixed on me. I gave her a half smile before looking back down, transferring what my eyes saw onto the paper.

"Do you believe in God?"

I cleared my throat slightly and nodded to her, not entirely comfortable with speaking about my religious beliefs. It wasn't something I did often, not at all really. I wasn't surprised that she asked, just taken back by the fact she didn't push any further. She just nodded a mumbled back to me.