Chapter Forty Six: Sound Of The Sirens

Hailie was sitting in her car at the restaurant parking lot. She was still processing the conversation with Amy. She couldn't lie. It was tempting to invite both Declan and Jayson to her house and ask demons for a little help with that problem. But that was just wrong. She wasn't a murderer. Even if she doesn't pull the trigger, she will be guilty of the crime. It wasn't up to her to decide who lives, who dies. The demons already killed Jayson's parents. If they wish to bring down also him, then she won't stay in the way. Jayson isn't worth saving. But she also won't help demons, unless Jayson will try to kill her. Then it will be self-defense. She doubted that it could happen. Now Jayson doesn't have parents who can save him from trouble. Besides, it would be stupidity to attack her.

It was time to go back to the house. She felt safe with Shane, but after what he did, there was no way she was staying with him any longer. Once again he failed her trust. Secrets. Everybody had secrets.

She turned the music on and sang with the radio on her way back home. It helped her relax, even if it was for a moment. Stress and fear hit her like a thunder when she parked on the street, where she was living. Getting out of the car seemed like a dream. And there she thought this day cannot get any worse.

More than half of a dozen police cars were parked in front of her house. People from the neighborhood were standing behind the yellow line, staring at working policemen and whispering about another tragedy in the Bloody Mansion. Some officers were questioning Hailie's neighbors, while others were coming to her house and taking out boxes.

It felt like her heart stopped for a minute. Every bone in her body froze and then broke, leaving her shattered on the street. In her mind there were a thousand of the worst scenarios of what might have happened.

"No. No, no, no."

Hailie started running, not paying attention to everybody around her. She pushed through the crowd with her elbows, ignoring rude comments and unfriendly gazes. Nothing could stop her, even if fear filled her body more than when she saw Jayson at the library. She bent down and got through the police line.

"Hey, lady! You can't be in here!" yelled one of the officers.

Hailie ignored him and rushed to the house. Inside she felt more lost than ever, not knowing what's going on. Someone caught her arm and was talking to her, but she couldn't understand a word. She was looking around, until she saw him.

"Lucien!"

Hailie broke free and ran to him, falling into his arms. She hugged him tightly, taking a deep breath of relief. He had no idea what just happened, but he returned the hug, surprised by the feeling that took over him. He closed his eyes, happy to feel Hailie's body so close to his. Nothing mattered right now, only that sweet moment. While Lust was hugging Hailie, he heard her quiet cry. She caught him tighter like she was scared he might disappear.

"When I saw the police, I thought," she cried, not able to end the sentence at first, "I thought they're here, because you..."

For Lust it was both unbelievable and ridiculous. Hailie was scared that something might have happened to him, but it became more understandable when he remembered that she believed he was a human. For her it was obvious that demons could hurt him if he angered them. How stupid. He was a demon. He was the one to hurt others.

"I'm fine," he said, holding her closely.

The thing that was even more stupid, his feelings. The fact that Hailie was worried about him so much, it meant that he was important for her. That he mattered for someone. He had no idea what to do with that knowledge, but it was nice.

Lust slowly ran his hand through her smooth hair. He was way taller than Hailie, so he could watch her from above. She raised her head up, looking at him with her eyes glistening from teardrops. He wished so much to lean closer and kiss her, but at the same time his reasonable side tried to tell him to step away from Hailie. From the girl that brings only trouble for him.