Chapter Sixty Two: Can't Let Go

The pain in the morning was just as big as when Hailie fell asleep last night. Her whole face was sore and a bit swollen, but it wasn't something she hadn't experienced before. It just made her so angry that after all this time nothing has changed. She still was the same scared and feeble teenager, who couldn't cope with the abusive behavior of her ex-boyfriend. She really wished for him to disappear, but at the same time she started to feel a desire for getting revenge. She just couldn't find a proper way to put him in jail. Jayson would have to do something terrible but then it might be too late to save someone, perhaps even herself. 

Hailie took a breath and stopped looking at the mirror. She tried to hide a bruise with a concealer, but it was still there, only a little bit faded out. It looked terrible and was a reminder of her failure. She was scared to think what would've happened if Leah didn't come out. That was pretty badass. She would never expect something like that from an old lady. That was a great hit, right in his weak point. She chuckled. Jayson being beaten by the old lady, that's something worth remembering.

One more gaze in the mirror, just to check if a marina turtleneck fitted with her jeans. She liked how it emphasized her waist.

Shane's gonna love it!

But he definitely won't be happy about that bruise on her face. He'll probably go berserk, ready to find Jayson and beat the crap out of him. She didn't call Shane yesterday, after that horrible act of violence. Certainly, he would come to her house at once and that wasn't a good idea. She just wanted to cry herself to sleep, which happened successfully, because Sloth and Greed were gone by the time she came back.

Hailie slowly opened the door and looked out on the corridor. She didn't want to meet any demon, because then she would have to explain how she got into a fight with Jayson. That wasn't clever. She came downstairs, wondering if Gluttony was again in the kitchen. She hasn't heard anything in the house since she woke up. It was deadly quiet.

But it was never quiet for too long.

"Hailie." She knew that voice way too well. "Please, let me talk to you. Please."

She slowly turned to Lust, deciding to give him a chance to speak up his mind. If it was so  important for him, then fine. She hasn't heard him say 'please' too many times and surely for a demon like him it wasn't easy to say, so he deserved to be at least listened to without all the demons watching them from a distance.

"What is it, Lust?" she asked, not missing the occasion to call him by his real name.

He was staring at her for a longer while, thinking how beautiful she was. It was hard to keep the anger at side, when he noticed the bruise that she was trying to conceal.

Focus.

"I don't want to pretend anymore that I'm okay with ignoring each other and acting like two full of hatred strangers. I can understand your anger and you have every right to be mad at me. Even to loathe me for all those lies. I can't expect you to accept the choices I've made. My intentions weren't pure, not at the beginning at least. It gets extremely boring in this house, so when you moved in, I just saw a girl with many problems. An easy target and a way to have some fun."

"Oh, awesome," she said with discontentment.

He put hands in his black trousers. That indeed wasn't something he could be proud of.

"I want to be completely honest with you. That means I have to tell all the unpleasant things as well."

Hailie tightened her lips, not sure what to think about this new tactic, but she saw too many movies not to predict his next words.