"Make the corset smaller!"

Shura sat up in bed. Tanya, Shura's maid, would come in any moment now to dress her, but she couldn't leave her room. Her arms that propped herself up shook beneath her, like a bridge ready to collapse from exhaustion. She knew what would come at breakfast. She stood and paced around her room, trembling from anxiety, when she heard a knock on her door. She opened it to find Sergei.

              He entered as Shura returned to her pacing. "How could she? How dare she!" she exclaimed. "Shura," Sergei took her arm and led her to a sofa. "I know this is not what you want. I didn't expect it either, but aren't you a little bit glad you heard it last night instead of finding out at breakfast? It gave you time to think, at least." he attempted to comfort her.

                      "Glad? Relieved? Our parents have been hiding a secret that would throw off my life's dreams forever! How could I possibly be happy, in any way?" she demanded. "Even Father, I thought I could trust him! I thought he wanted me to be happy. If he really did, then he would have stopped this arrangement firsthand. He knew my dreams of marriage, everyone did! How could they betray me like this?" she looked empty, lifeless. They sat in silence for a moment.

                    "I don't understand it either. There is no reasonable explanation. Looking at the past, arranged marriages have rarely ended well. Someone often has an affair, or some other downfall." he quickly looked at his panicking sister. "Not that I'm saying that's what is going to happen. I'm just thinking about old history from a long time ago." he blushed, because he knew that those were situations in the modern day. He tried to change the subject, "Shura, maybe something good will come out of this. Maybe you will learn to love each other, and you'll realize he is everything you initially wished for." Shura burst into rage, "Sergei! You are telling me what Mother wants me to think! You are turning to her side! You are of no help, leave now." She pointed to the door and Sergei sighed, "All right, all right, but what if, in the three years of your engagement, something happens and it ends? What if his parents back out? Or maybe Mother will realize her faults?"

                   She shook her head, "Believing that will happen is like believing the Tsar will walk into our house and take me as his bride. It'll never happen. Mother is iron-willed, determined... cold blooded. She is doing this to be praised as a matchmaker in our social circle. It's all a game, she doesn't care for anyone's happiness but herself. Not even for her own children." Tanya knocked on the door, and Sergei stood and said, "Well, I'll see you down there. Try not to ruffle too many feathers, you have three years to get out of the marriage. Don't immediately try and shut it down." he exited.

              For the first time, Alyona was at breakfast with her family. She looked exhausted, having never gotten out of bed before ten in the morning in the years of her marriage.

         "Ah, good morning, Alexandra. Did you sleep well?" Alyona chirped.

         "Yes, Mother, very well indeed. How was your slumber?" Shura replied, trying to avoid eye contact with her mother.

           "Mine was quite alright. Now, you turn fourteen tomorrow, is that correct?"

           Shura glanced at Sergei then returned her gaze to Alyona's nose, still not looking her in the eye. "Yes, that is correct, Mother," she replied, desperately attempting to hold her grace.

          "Well, that is an exciting age, isn't it? Perhaps for new beginnings?" she glanced around the table, then grinned. "Oh, I cannot keep it in any longer! My dear, your lifelong dream is coming true!" her mother exclaimed.

         Shura's eyes lit up. "I am getting a book published?" she responded with mocking hopefulness. She hoped to show to her mother that marrying Dmytri was not her lifelong dream.