Archangel, Chapter six: Playdate

"Hey, Dad, are you home?"

     "Heya, Kenji! I'm in the kitchen!" Kenji smiled at his friends and picked up the small black cat that rubbed at his legs, leading Kaminari and Sero through the house. "Oh, are these your friends? It's very nice to meet you!" Kaminari grinned madly and Sero playfully punched his arm. "Hi! I'm Denki Kaminari! Dude, you're like one of my favorite heroes!"

     "I'm Hanta Sero, it's pretty awesome that you're Kenji's dad." Taishiro smiled and turned to his son, saying, "I see you're being more open to being called by your first name!" The boy laughed nervously but quickly righted himself. "Oh, dad, we're going to the arcade, I just stopped by to change. I might not be home for dinner."

     "That's alright, just make sure you eat something. I'm glad you're making friends, Kenji." The boy nodded and motioned for his friends to follow him to his room. He shifted the cat to his right arm to open the door, opening it for his friends. "Whoa, your room's pretty cool."

     "Thanks, I get a pretty generous allowance. I mean, it's not always fun and games having a celebrity for a parent, but it is nice that I can support my friends that aren't as lucky as me." Kenji set down the cat and Kaminari went to pet it. Sero and Kaminari sat on Kenji's bed messing with his manga as he went to the closet to change. 

     Throwing his school uniform into the laundry bin, Kenji dressed in a black satin button-up shirt with white roses, a black leather jacket, a silver barbed wire choker, black jeans, and a pair of white Doc Marten boots. As he left the closet, he was thrown off as Sero laughed at him. "Is something wrong?"

     "No, no, it's just that you have a pride flag on your closet door!" Kenji was confused at first but understood after a second. "Ooooh yeah, it's like I came out of the closet! I never noticed that, that's pretty funny." Kaminari tilted his head and asked, "Are you gay?" Sero slapped the back of his head and said to him, "Dude, you don't just ask someone that!"

     Kenji laughed and nodded, saying, "Yeah, I am. I mean, I certainly dress like I am." Grabbing his wallet, phone, and house key from his desk, Kenji led Sero and Denki out of the room. The boys waved to Taishiro as they left and Kenji asked, "What are you guys' favorite arcade games?"

     "I like claw machines and laser tag," Sero said. Denki had to think for a bit before saying, "You can't go wrong with laser tag, but I prefer DDR and skeeball. What about you, bro?"

     "I've never actually been to an arcade. I was never really interested as a kid, but when I grew up a bit I never had any friends to go with so I never did. I'm excited about this!" Sero patted the pink-haired boy on the back and said, "You're about to experience the most fun you've ever had." The trio walked for a few more minutes before reaching a huge building surrounded by a parking lot.

     "You guys remember your money?" Kenji eyed the two boys and smiled when they nodded, happy that they weren't just using him for arcade money. Denki led the two inside the establishment and the first thing they did was get credits to play. Kenji was low-key rich and bought 1000 credits, keeping it a secret from his new friends. He planned to go around playing games like normal, but every time he heard someone say they were out of credits, he would pay for them to have one last game before they left.

     "Yo man, you wanna do laser tag first?"

     "Yeah, that sounds awesome!"

     "DAMMIT SERO!" Kenji rolled behind a wall and pulled the shot boy behind him. "Sorry, I wasn't paying attention!"

     "It's cool man, just stay by me." Sero eyed the boy and said, "You sure you haven't played before?" Kenji was about to speak before motioning for Sero to be silent. Hoisting his laser gun and slowly peeking behind the wall, the boy quickly turned to Sero, grabbing him by the vest and running with him to a higher platform.

     When they were safe from whatever enemy Kenji saw, he said, "No, I've never played before, but my dad let me take stealth training."

     "Damn that's nice to know! Wait so why did we run up here?" Kenji laid flat on the ground and aimed his gun at a small gap between walls, Sero trying to see what he was aiming at. As he pulled the trigger, Kenji smiled as he heard a loud, "DAMN IT!" Denki stood up from behind the pillar he was hiding behind and faced Kenji who gave Sero a high five. From down below, the blonde asked, "Seriously, what are you, a sniper?"

     The next game Kenji wanted to try was a motorcycle racing game, Sero and Denki sitting on either side of him with their respective bikes. The trio selected their bikes and characters, the center going for a basic but powerful play. The game started and Kenji drove off the path. At the beginning of the game, they had been shown a map of the game track, Kenji memorizing it and finding a shortcut to the halfway point. It was difficult to dodge between trees and whatnot, but he eventually found himself in first place through his cheat. I guess it wasn't cheating since 1, there was no rule against it, and 2, it was possible to do. It wasn't his fault the developers didn't patch the shortcut.

     As soon as the other two boys were about halfway through their track, the game ended, Kenji having won first place. "YO, WHAT?!" The boy laughed as his friends angrily grabbed their game cards. "Shooting game then," said Sero. "Then... Dance Dance Revolution."

     Long story short, Kenji destroyed Denki and Sero at the Xenomorph-themed shooting game, the former dragging him to the much anticipated DDR. "Now let's see how much of a gamer you really are." The boy smirked as Kenji cautiously stepped onto the platform. Denki let the pink-haired boy choose the song, Cult of Dionysus blasting from the speakers. The floor lit up and Kenji followed Denki's movements, struggling to keep on-tempo with the song. He couldn't look at the screen and the floor at the same time, let alone try to keep up with the flashing lights. Tripping on his own feet, Kenji fell off the platform and sat up off the floor laughing, Denki finished the song, and Sero helped him up.

     "You finally beat me! I guess I'm better at hand-eye coordination than foot-eye- wait is that even a thing?"

     "Sure it is, man. Come on, let's go play skeeball."

~~~~~

Pages: 3.3

Words: 1151

Word: Iridocyclitis