Archangel, Chapter One: Birthday

"Kenji, wake up! It's your birthday!!"

     "W-what? I have a birthday...?" The pink-haired boy slowly woke up, groggily rolling onto the floor. "Yes! Oh, i'm sorry, you're probably too out of it. But there are some people here to see you! You have gifts!"

     "Not interested unless it's uncle Mic..." Kenji shoved his head under his pillow and burrowed into his sheets, trying to block out the bright light streaming from his window.

     "Well, there's ice cream, too, but I doubt you'd care~" Kenji bolted up with large eyes and a wide smile, saying, "I'M AWAKE! Just lemme get dressed!" Taishiro chuckled and left his son to get dressed. Kenji rolled over to his closet, still on the floor, opening the door with his foot and rolling inside. "Well shit, I can't reach my clothes from down here." The boy stood up and arched his back, stretching his wings and hearing a few cracks. 

     "Alright, what's for today. I'm thinking... Mint green flannel and black ripped jeans." Kenji took the clothes from their hangers and slipped them on, flicking the lights on in his bathroom and messed with his hair in the mirror, not really able to fix it. He resorted to head-banging so that his hair at least looked intentional, the messy pink fluff falling across his forehead, not quite reaching his bright green eyes.

     Kenji was satisfied with his look, strutting out of his room and downstairs to see various Pro Heroes. "Yo, this is awesome!" Green and grey balloons clung to the ceiling with green streamers and fairy lights adorning the tables and door frames. A decent-sized pile of presents sat on the dining table, surrounded by various kinds of foods and treats. The tall boy smiled with starry eyes, taking everything in and cupping his face in awe. Fatgum stood next to pro heroes Eraserhead, Present Mic, Ms. Joke, and Gunhead. "This is so awesome, I really don't know how to react..."

     "Well, I think you should open presents first, Little Man!" Mic was as loud as usual, Eraserhead standing by him annoyed. Kenji looked up at his dad for approval and he nodded, everyone sitting around the table to watch Kenji open his presents. The first was from Eraser, a small, squishy one, but very neatly wrapped. The birthday boy was very delicate with it, trying not to mess up the paper too much. "Kid, it's just wrapping paper."

     "I know, but it's done so nicely!" Eraser smiled slightly as Kenji fake cried and finally pulled out his present, eyes widening. "A Mangle plush! Oh my gosh, now I have all of the animatronics! Thank you so much!!" The next gift was a medium-sized rectangular gift from Ms. Joke, terribly wrapped. The boy unwrapped it and squealed like a little girl, hugging the gift tightly to his chest. "Aaah I can't believe it! Thank you, Auntie!!"

     "Of course! There's another one that goes with it!" The woman winked and gave Kenji a smaller package that was wrapped slightly better, despite having an odder shape than the other gift. He grinned widely at the Animal Crossing-themed Switch controllers and hugged the woman tightly. "I'm so glad you like the gifts!"

     The next package was a box wrapped in yellow-green paper from Present Mic. Kenji took his pocket knife from his pocket and cut open the box, careful not to snag anything. When he pulled open the cardboard tabs, he literally beamed with light, his dad having to tell him to deactivate his quirk. 

     "Sorry, I'm just so happy with all of this!" Kenji pulled out Bendy and the Ink Machine, Animal crossing, Minecraft, and The Amazing Spider-man games for Nintendo Switch, along with a $200 Amazon gift card and two new sketchbooks. Ms. Joke leaned in to whisper in Kenji's ear, saying, "Me and Hizashi worked together on that!" Kenji giggled as Mic picked him up and threw him over his shoulder, spinning him around. "Hey, now, hey, now, I'm gonna get dizzy!"

     "But that's all the fun!"

     "Not before I eat!"

     "Well, then you're lucky we opened presents first!" The hero set Kenji back in his seat, watching as he unwrapped a blue package from Gunhead. Kenji smiled wider if possible, holding up a pair of camouflage Converse high-tops. Fatgum stood up and said, "There's one more present, Kenji!" The man walked to the garage and pulled open the door, walking into the dark space without turning on the lights. 

     He soon emerged with a small box with an open top. He smiled and handed it to his son, glad to see him light up with joy. "Dad... thank you... I love her!" Kenji took his hands off of the box and pulled out a small black kitten. Aizawa's eyes widened and Gunhead reached over, stroking its' head with a single finger. "What will you name her," Joke asked. "I think... I think she'll be Ansel!" The happy boy held the cat to his chest and listened to it purr, holding it with one hand and scratching behind its' ears with the other.

|.|.|

     "I'm glad you had fun today, Kenji. Your happiness means a lot to me!"

     "Thanks, dad. I did have a lot of fun. Thank you for bringing everyone over."

     "Of course, Kenji. So did you decide what high school you want to go to?"

     "Yeah. I wanna go to UA and protect people like you do."

     "Thats great! You should go to bed now though. Good night, Kenji."

     "Dad?"

     "Yeah?"

     "Can I go to a public school for my last year before high school?"

     Taishiro stared down at his son, smiling and nodding. "Of course! I knew you'd grow out of homeschool. Now get some rest. School officially starts tomorrow, so you'll arrive a bit late, but I think you should always be fashionably late - but not too late."

     "Thank you... I'm gonna sleep now, Mic and Auntie really tired me out."

     "Are you gonna let Ansel sleep with you?"

     "Why wouldn't I?"

     "I think she needs help getting up!" The pro hero picked up the small kitten and put her on top of her new owner, falling asleep with him as the pats slowed with fatigue.

~~~~~
Pages: 3.5

Words: 1044

Avengers: Infinity War