Chapter 5: Fear Isn't An Option

By the time dawn started I had already told Frypan to go ahead and get the kitchen going

By the time dawn started I had already told Frypan to go ahead and get the kitchen going. The pull of sleep still has yet to arrive, the only thing that lingers is a sense of emotional exhaustion. My hands no longer sting thanks to Clint who wrapped them during his shift last night, and the Jar Newt gave me is now empty thanks to Gally who agreed to split it with me if he didn't get mad. Frypan spent an hour with me before I shooed him off to get breakfast ready, which was some time ago. As of right now I still sit in front of the gates, I stare at the two fist size puddles of dried blood that paints them.

I skipped breakfast to continue my unreasoned strike, as the time for the gates to open nears Chuck joins me to sit in the dirt. Only when I hear the gears start to turn do I wobbly stand to my feet with Chuck as my brace. Slowly more Gladers gather as the doors open, I stare down the empty hall of vines and concrete numbly. Newt says something to Chuck that I don't regeture as I continue to stare, there's a pull on my arm but I don't move to follow it. The pull tugs again, but this time I tug away as I see movement down the Maze. I felt the air leave my lungs as Thomas and Minho carried Alby from the Maze, "YEAH!" Chuck cheers. I don't even process them being alive and in front of me until Gladers rush to take Alby into their arms. "Minho?" I whisper, at the sound of my voice he turns. Not another thing is said before I wrap my arms around him, Minho lets out pained breathy laugh as he cups my cheeks and presses a hard kiss to my forehead. "Don't you EVER! EVER do that to me again do you understand?" I command through sobs, "Yeah mama, I got it." He whispers. I sniff loudly before looking over his shoulder to Thomas who stood there sheepishly, "Hey...Mom." He mumbles.

The Glade goes quiet as I pull away from Minho to look at Thomas, "You," I growl. His eyes widen as I pull my blade and stomp over to him, panicked chatter fills the air as Thomas stumbles back. "YOU BASTARD!" I scream waving my machete, the boys around me doing their best to calm me down without being chopped or sliced by my blade. Eventually I cornered Thomas against the wall, fear filled his eyes as I closed in, but much to his surprise I drop the machete. "DON'T YOU EVER SHUCKING DO THAT AGAIN! DO YOU HEAR ME THOMAS! YOU SHUCKING SLINTHEAD!" I scold wrapping my arms around him and pulling him into a tight hug, I feel him hesitate before wrapping his arms around. "Yeah, yeah I'm sorry mom." He mumbles, "As you should be!" I snap in tears as I pull away.

I take a deep breath before looking at the two, "What happened out there?" I question them softly. "Did you see the greevers?" I whisper. "We saw the Greevers." Thomas answered, "We didn't just see it. He killed it." Minho specifies. My eyes fall to Thomas, he looks at me nervously, "I always knew you'd be a good Runner." I smile softly. However, the moment was short lasting before Alby had to be moved to the Medbay and a meeting is called. I stand next to Gally the Gladers gather around in the meeting hall. "Things are changing, there's no denying that." Gally calls out, "First Ben gets stung in broad daylight and then Alby." He points out. I run a hand through my hair and look back at Thomas who keeps his head down. "And now our Greenie here has taken it upon himself to go into the Maze," Gally chides, I couldn't argue with that. The rules are rules, logically we can't let him go just because he went in after what we typically consider two dead boys. The fact that all three lived is irrelevant because he still broke the rules, "Which is a violation of the rules," I spoke softly. Gally nods his head and points in my direction.