Bye Bye Baby -Chapter 10

It's been an hour, but it feels like an eternity. The hallway has become quiet, as a result of the busy day. But the chaos still lingers. Ethan's door is still closed, but I can hear everything that's happening. I don't choose to listen. I rub my tired eyes and move my legs in front of me. I'm determined to stay awake until there's news. "Chloe... Right?" A short, blonde haired nurse inquires while walking towards me from down the hall. I hesitantly nod. When she reaches me, she smiles. "Ethan talks about you a lot..." She smirks. I blush and raise an eyebrow. She giggles. "I'm Ethan's RN, My names Laurie." She says factually. I nod while rubbing the tears out of my eyes. "What's going on in there?" I question. She sighs and slides down the wall to a squatting position. "Well you aren't technically suppose to know this... But he's in stable cardiac arrest. We don't know how long he will still be... Here." I bite my lip, trying to stop the tears. I cover my hand with my mouth. Laurie looks at me sympathetically. "Sweetie, you look extremely tired. Why don't you go to your room and I'll update you when I know anything." Laurie nods, trying to convince me. She puts her number in my phone and i head to my room. I look at the clock, and it's 3am. I slip on a pair of Nike spandex and a flowy pajama top and slide into bed. I try to sleep, but I just can't. The thought of Ethan dying flashes through my mind like lightning. I twist and turn until I finally get comfortable. Before I completely drift off, my phone buzzes. I pick it quickly and I immediately know it's Laurie. "Hello?" I answer frantically. "Hey, you should come down as soon as possible. You need to say your last goodbye..." She sighs. "O-okay" I stutter, pressing 'End' on the call. I throw my hair into a messy bun while sprinting down the hallway. My only mission is to get to that room. That's all I want. Tears stream down my face like a waterfall. My heart is beating faster than it ever has. I finally reach his room while panting. Laurie greets me at the door. "Hey, his family will be here in 10 minutes. You have some time." She nods while shooting me a sad look. I gently push open the door, and close it with a thud. I migrate to the edge of his bed while taking a deep breath. I bite my lip and look at his pale body. The IV machine constantly beeps, giving me reassurance. I walk up next to Ethan and take his hand off his chest. I told it to my heart. I feel his slow pulse beating and I begin to tear up. "Wow... I don't know where to begin..." I stutterly giggle. "You are the one person that understands me... The one person who didn't abandon me... The one person I trusted..." My tears drown my face. Knowing I can't keep looking at him and crying, I softly kiss his cheek. "I love you, Ethan" I cry. I leave the room in tears. Laurie gently hugs me as I enter the hallway. "When do they think he will... You know...?" I ask curiously. "An hour or so." Laurie nods while putting her hands in the pockets of her blue scrubs. I shake my head slowly. I'm speechless. I walk to my room, but it feels like the world had stopped. The cold sterile hallways are quiet. It's 4am already, but I don't care. For once in my life, I feel like I've truly lost everything. I reach my room, and I honestly don't know what to do. I can't sleep now. I stand in the middle my room hopelessly. Memories of Clara, Ethan, and my parents flash through my mind. My brain gets dizzy. My eyes get blinded by the recall of horrificness. I loose my balance and fall into the cold, white-tiled flooring. All of a sudden, my mind goes blank. And that's the last thing I remember.../// MORE?