Chapter 16: Threat

(Brielle's POV...)

I knew it.

If only Almeric didn't accept the Duke's invitation, none of these would be happening. Now, what should I do? How could I save him? If he, who was skillful in handling weapons in addition to his capability to bend fire, was held captive just like that... then... What could someone like me do to help him?

I need to find a way. I need to think!

..

I was drowned in my thoughts, brooding over every possibility, but damn, I couldn't think of anything. The world seemed to crumble before me. This constricted feeling was growing as if I am strangled by just the air about me. I really do not know what to do.

Almeric needs me.

I was pacing back and forth, running my fingers through my hair, when suddenly I heard footsteps getting closer to the room where I was in. An unsettling feeling began welling inside me. My heart started pounding at an increasingly rapid pace.

Without having second thoughts, quickly I locked the door then moved the furniture blocking the way. I knew they were after me now. What do they want from us? Why were they doing this? After we saved Lady Tiffany from the goblins, this was how they would repay us?

The Duke of Athunzar has no manners!

Blood pounded my ears, my body began to shake as I saw the doorknob turning. No. I wouldn't let them get me. The thoughts were accelerating inside my head. I wanted them to slow down so I could breathe, but they couldn't. My breaths came in gasps and I felt like I would blackout. My heart was hammering inside my chest like it belonged to a rabbit running for its skin.

"Open the door!" said a male voice outside, as they kept banging the door open. I know the furniture wouldn't hold them for too long. I back away, darting my eyes around, thinking of any possible way out from the room, but there's none except for the window.

I approached it and looked down. It was high enough, jumping off through the window didn't seem to be a good idea, but do I have a choice?

Bang! Bang! Bang!

Anytime now, they would be coming. What should I do?

"Do it faster!" I heard one said. "Whatever happens, we need to catch her alive."

Her? They knew I was not a man. They must have already known who I am. This couldn't be good.

As my eyes roamed around, I glanced at the table and saw a bottle of wine. I hastily grabbed it and broke it at the side of the table. And when they finally broke the door open, I held the broken part of the bottle with its shard pointed to my neck.

They halted.

"Don't go near me! I will kill myself!" I yelled, almost cutting my skin with the broken shard. I saw the hesitation in their eyes, they needed me alive. They wouldn't dare, but still, I stepped backward until my back touched the window frame. "Stay away from me! What do you want?"

"Come with us in peace, Lady Brielle," said one of them with blonde hair and mustache, he seemed to be their leader. "We are not your enemy here."

"I don't believe you. What have you done to Almeric? Give him back!"

"He already left, milady. He was the one who told the Duke about your real identity and asked us to escort you back to Cadelith Castle. King Blaine is waiting for you."

I shook my head. I know they were lying. "Almeric would never do that to me. Please, let us go. I know what you did to him."

The blonde man stepped toward me, but then I gripped on the broken shard again, pointed it deeper at my neck. It stung a little, I felt blood dripping from the cut I caused. And when he didn't stop approaching me, I climbed on the window ready to jump off. I know, with one wrong move, I would not survive if I fell, but I would rather die than captured.