Chapter 35: Relieved from Duty

(Almeric's POV...)

I drowned myself in extensive training of my men in Greywich, barely taking a break just to take my mind off everything that had happened between me and Brielle. That day when she found out the truth and left Greywich alone, I tried to go after her, but I was too late.

The moment I reached Dragonshire Palace, she wasn't there anymore. Brielle left. She left me without even trying to listen to my explanation. I knew I hurt her so much. The look in her eyes... there was no way I would be able to forget it.

It was pure hatred.

My Brielle despised me as if I was the most evil man who had ever lived. I couldn't blame her. I deserved it. Lying to her was my biggest mistake.

The night was already deep when I decided to head back to my tent. Though my body felt too exhausted, I didn't mind at all. This was my only way not to think of Brielle.

But...

No matter what I do, I can't get her off my mind. I wanted Brielle back in my life. I wanted to go to Aspor and claim her again as mine, and live together just like before. Though I knew I couldn't do that. I already lost Brielle just right at the moment I decided to lie to her. And I regretted it.

I loved Brielle. That was the truth, but she didn't believe it anymore. There was no way she would accept me again. To what I had done to her, I made her a fool.

I ran my fingers through my hair, sighing exasperatedly, wishing to turn back time.

"You must go home. You don't suit here," I heard a voice interrupting my thoughts. When I lifted my eyes, I saw the Captain of Aspor at the entrance of my tent, crossing arms as he leaned on the pillar.

My lips twitched as my brows snapped together. Fury flared up through my nostrils. Narrowing my eyes, I spoke. "What did you say?" My voice was a bit higher. How dare this Asporian just intrude in my tent and tell me those absurd words!

He just looked at me blankly, as if I could tell he was mocking me in his mind. "I said... You.Go.Home," he repeated. "You are not needed here." My fingers curled into a ball of fists. I rushed to him and held him by his collar, slamming him against the pillar. "Go on, hit me. Prove that you're not in the right state to hold training for these men."

I clenched my fists even more, trying all my might to hold back my anger. "And who are you to order me?" I said, glaring at him. Heaven forbade me, I would kill this man. However, Captain Leon brushed off my hands and hit me on the face with a strong blow, causing me to plummet down the ground.

I spat blood to my side before I got on my feet again and was about to hit him back, but Captain Leon hit me one more time before I did so. I haven't recovered yet, when he approached me and hit me countless times—and I let him. Not because I couldn't fight back. Of course I could, with just one move I could burn him alive until all was left of him was dust. But I didn't. The pain I was receiving now was nothing compared to what I caused Brielle.

Captain Leon didn't stop, not until General Leiger stepped in and hooked his hands around his shoulder blades, stopping him from hitting me.

"What's the meaning of this captain?!" he snapped. "How dare you to lay a hand on our Prince!"

"I'm teaching him a lesson," hissed the captain, brushing the general's hands off him. "How can you expect someone like him to lead this army? He's not in his right mind. He would only lead these men to their death."

I didn't know what came into my mind, but I released a maniacal laugh as I wiped the blood from my mouth. I was still on the ground. I was going insane.