Our birthday

I really didn't know what to think. Everyone always sees me as that one kid who never seems to age, but I still had a damn birthday! Yet here I was, following two little kids who seemed to be brothers. On the younger one's birthday. Celebrating his birthday, not mine. Could this day get worse.

   When the pair got home I came in after them and jumped up on a counter. No one seemed to notice, so I just sat watching the family. "Happy birthday, dear Tommy!~ Happy Birthday to you~" The family sang in a chorus to the youngest of them all: Tommy. A little boy in red bounced in his chair and started to eat his birthday cake.

   Another, somehow smaller boy looked up before eating and was looking right at me. His eyes lit up as if seeing me was the best thing that had happened to him that day. "Phil! Phil! Flower!" Flower? What was he talking about? I looked behind me and didn't see anything that could be called a flower. 

   "Flower? Don't you mean Follower, Tubbo?" Wilbur, who I had gathered was the middle child, looked at the little kid in black and yellow. Tubbo nodded, and Tommy's eye's lit up just like Tubbo's had before. "You saw your follower already, Tubbo? Woah!" The whole family seemed super happy for Tubbo, but I had no idea what they meant. What was a 'Follower'?

---------------------------------------------------

   It was my birthday again before I knew it. Tommy's birthday, rather. He still hadn't seen his Follower, the likes of which I learned that I was one. "You sure I'll see them soon, Wilbuh?" Tommy was looking right at his older sibling, who nodded his head. "Sure thing, Tommy."

   When they were home, Phil was still baking the cake. "How about you three go to your rooms and relax a bit before we celebrate?" Wilbur walked the rest of the way through the kitchen and went to his room while I followed Tommy and Tubbo to their shared room.

   All three of us sat down and Tommy started talking. "Tubbo, what if I don't get a Follower?" Tubbo looked up at his brother "I'm sure you'll get a Follower! No one had gone without one, and even if you don't get one you'll at least get to say that you're the very first person who doesn't have a Follower!"

   I scoot over to Tommy and give him a hug, but he just starts to cry. "Tubbo, I'm scared. No one knows what happens if you don't have a Follower, what if it's really bad?!" I was startled, and so was Tubbo. Tommy never admits to being scared. "Techno, Wilbur!" Tubbo ran to the door and cried for his brothers.

   "What is it, Tubbo? What's wrong?!" Techno's room was closest, as it was also upstairs. "Tommy's crying, he even admitted to being scared of not having a Fl- Follower!" Techno rushed into the room after Tubbo explained, and Wilbur came in soon after him. "Hey, it's going to be alright, okay? Big brother Wil is here, you're going to be alright."

----------------------------------------------------

   "I'm sorry, kid. But you're not going to develop a Follower." The doctor stated Tommy's worst nightmare straight to him. "All kids see their Follower by the age of 7, it's a very low chance that you will ever get one." Phil stared at the doctor with sadness in his eyes, I could see it. He stood up, grabbed Tommy's hand, then walked out the door, Tubbo and I following behind.

   Tommy cried himself to sleep that night, holding onto Tubbo for dear life. Just two years ago, I was jealous of this kid. I can't believe myself, being jealous of the kid without a lifeline. I never got to celebrate my birthday, sure, but I knew that he got to have a party of his own. I don't think I'll ever get to celebrate our birthday happily ever again...

(660 words of pure pain-)