16:

16:

“Nice of you to finally join us,” Alec addresses Ian and I with a sharp, closed lip smile. His striking bark colored eyes remain trained on me as if I am the only one in the room.

It's ironic how someone so bad appears to be so good.

“Alec, it's been years. What coffin did they summon you out of?” Elaine remarks curtly. A few members in the room chuckle with eyes filled with teasing.

Ian and I take our seats all while Alec's crystal garnet eyes follow my every move carefully. There is something deeper in his eyes. Something I can't fully understand. It's like staring at a perplexing painting. You spend your entire time staring at it, trying to figure it out, only to have it continue to stare back at you in the end.

“Let's just get to it,” Martin intervenes, earning the attention of his colleagues.

I tune out of what is happening because the only thing concerning me is the possible danger ahead. As if being with Ian wasn't dangerous enough. Now, I have to worry about Alec.

“It's true, there will be distractions,”

A gentle hand on my shoulder awakens me from my thoughtful state. It's startling yet enticing at the same time.

“But in the famous words of Daniel Goleman: One way to boost our will power and focus is to manage our distractions instead of letting them manage us,”

And just as his hand leaves my shoulder, Ian's hand grips my thigh in a possessive manner. In automatic habit, I place my hand over his.

Alec continues,

“To make this company flourish again we need to possess what people lack. We need what I like to call, DVEP.”

This is guy is innovative, fresh and very charming. The only thing with Alec is the fact that he only got where he is today based on intelligence and talent, alone. He isn't the model looking type.

“Um, excuse me? What does that even mean?” Mel raises her hand. I notice the note pad in front of her is filled with notes. While mine, is blank. Ian's paper is a drawing of a monster biting Alec's head off. It takes everything in me not to giggle like a teenage girl.

“Good question,” he smiles approvingly. “DVEP is an acronym for drive, vision, energy and passion.”

“That's what this company needs. And the sooner we initiate this believe the sooner we'll be back on top. The sooner we reclaim our spot as the number one Electrical company in the world.”

“We're still number one. Check your stats.” Ian leans back in his chair, managing to raise the brows of several people in this room.

“What are you even talking about?” Alec holds an expression of absolute offense.

“I'm talking about how suck ass of a job you're doing to not have done the proper research,” his eyes stay focused as he speaks confidently. “We've been the top company in this nation for five consecutive years now. That's what I'm talking about.”

Alec rubs a swift hand over his austere face. His fingertips rest on the light stubble on his jawline. “Those shock treatments must have really done the job. His mind is fried.”

Shock treatments? Is he referring to Ian's three years in that mental institution? Surely they wouldn't shock him. I thought those were outlawed. Turning to Ian, I see something that no one else has ever seen before.

His entire face pales and then, he sinks further into his chair “Another minute of this shit and I'll walk out,” he speaks through gritted teeth.