Chapter Nine

Aglaesha found Brilyn easily. He prowled through the crowd like a panther. When she spied him, the Mage grabbed him by the arm and into a dance. Bri grinned at her.

"I fear I cannot dance efficiently, My Lady."

"I will have to make do then. Did you hear him?"

"The anointing of the gods? Yes, I heard and saw it."

Aglaesha blinked. "You did? Is he okay?"

Brilyn frowned and spun her as he replied grimly, "He collapsed, but those serpents Denross and Keptelle took him away to get some air."

"It worries me to see them with him. They are bad influences."

"They are involved in some type of scheme, I fear. They will lead him astray, or worse - they will tell his secrets to the King." Brilyn went pale with worry and Aglaesha squeezed his hand gently. "Do not fear, sweet scholar - Conlaed is no fool, besides, I will disembowel them if they harm him in any way."

"They say Keptelle was cursed by an Enigma," Bri muttered, "Let us hope he has no powers to use on dear Conlaed."

Aglaesha nodded. She had fretted for her love ever since the fateful night he'd almost drowned. A Fey in Maidora was a terrible omen, she was certain of it. For centuries only the enchantments of the Mages had been present on the Isle. No doubt, many had claimed to have blood of the Fey in them, hoping to claim the throne. Now that a real Fey had arrived, Aglaesha had no idea of what that meant for Conlaed and his House. There had always been people who doubted the Isodor claim to the throne - in the time of King Osric it was not uncommon to hear Maidores arguing their allegiance to King Maxum. Some went as far as joining Osric's cause by causing havoc on the streets of Userra - the troublemakers were executed immediately. Aglaesha had wondered if the Wraith could possibly have arrived to convince Con of an alliance between the Domain of Roses and the Isle - if Fey did still live, Dardria would be their dwelling. From before King Osric, the ruler of Dardria had claimed they possessed the blood of Fey. If there were any truth in it, the Fey most likely came from there. She doubted the Dardrians would accept a bond with Maidora happily, but it was always a possibility. If that were so, perhaps the presence of a Wraith would not be so ill received. I hope this is so - if what the Fey claimed was true and Con succeeded in breaking the oath, then King Maxum would be able to forge a long peace.

"What are we to do, Brilyn? I know Conlaed does not want our help - he was furious when I told him you told me everything."

Bri froze and stepped swiftly out of the circle of dancers. "He...he was furious?"

Aglaesha followed nervously, unsure of how to answer. The terror on her friend's face turned her stomach. Carefully, she replied, "I am sure he was still in shock - he was not in his right find, Brilyn. He is nothing to fear - "

The young lord was shaking his head frantically. No one around them recognized his distress; they were all too drunk or filled with lust. The Mage put a steady hand on his arm. Brilyn stared up at her wide eyed. His voice shook with fear as he hissed, "You know nothing of Conlaed's wrath. I swore to keep it a secret. And now..."

"I know his wrath, Bri. Perhaps not as well as you, but I know it. His cold words have pierced me before. Do not tell me I have not felt his hatred before, Brilyn. I will not have it."

Her voice was cold and commanding. Like a queen. The scholar sighed. "I am sorry, Aglaesha. I was not thinking proper." The lady nodded solemnly. Aglaesha took Brilyn's hand and squeezed affectionately. "I do believe none of us are thinking proper, my friend." The boy laughed at that. She smiled and kissed his cheek. "I must go - I do not want father to believe we would make a fabulous match. In fact, I believe I have something I must talk with him about."