#2

silence

noun

the complete absence of sound.

I decided to research what I was rejecting. Surprisingly I already understood what 'silence' was, but now I can feel smarter. Which is infinitely more important.

Recently I have been struggling to find a book to read. Does that happen to you guys as well?

This gap of reading has given me a lot of time to create stories in my head instead. I've noticed that my stories are similar to whatever book or movie or creative text I have last interacted with. That sounds very formal. To put it simply I'm creating stories from things I've seen. This has led to fantasy filled grand adventures, and cliche teen romances - for that one I have to blame "To All the Boys I've Loved Before" (directed by Susan Johnson and written by Sofia Alvarez).

I have to say, I really enjoy the stories I create in my mind.

I know I'm not the only one, for school we had to read George Orwell's 'Why I Write', and discovered that he too created stories to fill, in his case, the silence of boredom.

"I had the lonely child's habit of making up stories..." - George Orwell

Sadly I can't claim as much brilliance as he can.

However that is not the point.

I'm challenging you guys to write your stories on this blog whenever you're faced with silence.

I promise, they'll be better than mine; here's a short story influenced by the aforementioned movie - To All the Boys I've Loved Before.

It's the beginning of the end.

Everyone, every single soul in this life draining prison is glad. When it ends it spells our freedom. We will finally be free. School holidays!

"What are you guys doing for the holidays?" My question shatters the studious silence.

All at once my friends answer, their study instantly forgotten as they list all they wanted to do during the holidays.

I can't keep up with the group's chatter, there's not heaps of us, a gang of six, but we're very loud. However I'm glad everyone has stopped studying, it's making me feel better forgoing study to dream about the holidays.

--

The bell rings, halting our conversation. Signaling the end.

Bad, this is really really bad.

I still haven't reached my goal - to design the perfect holiday with my friends.

... With the side benefit of spending extra time with a certain someone. Lucas.