27

The Mountains, Tokyo, 2018

Noriko Kamo & Chitose Saito vs. Juzo Kumiya

Noriko leapt forward, assuming speed would be her advantage as she advanced on her opponent. His knees bent as he braced himself for the attack, holding his cleaver out in front of him, but Noriko changed her trajectory at the last minute. Pushing off on her left foot, she shot around the man, twisting behind him to slice his back. The sharp clang of steel filled the air as he lifted his cleaver behind him to block before spinning around to send a sharp kick to Noriko's middle.

Pulling the pole of the weapon across her stomach, she blocked the attack but was forced back anyway. Noriko landed on her feet a few yards away. She didn't have much time to react as the cleaver came down an inch from her face and she barely stumbled back to avoid it. Dropping into a crouch, she spun her bisento before aiming a few sharp jabs at the man - only one hit as she drove the blade into his abdomen. 

Before she could pull the blade out, a large hand wrapped around the hilt, holding the blade in place. Noriko blinked, her eyes darting up to Juzo - who wore a manic grin - before she shot backwards as the butcher's knife was brought down again with surprising speed on where her hands were. While all her fingers remained in tact, Noriko winced as she gained a slash on the side of her wrist and lost a few of her bracelets. 

But she didn't have time to lament over it as the curse user came at her again, firing a flurry of attacks her way which she managed to dodge. She could barely hear the sound of the blade slicing through the air over her own heartbeat as she moved her eyeline from her opponent to over his shoulder. 

The force of the blade had broken the staff of her bisento.

"Ahh.... the High Priestess is going to beat me to death if she finds out about that," Noriko groaned, snapping back one final time as she pivoted on her foot, raising her injured leg to slam into the side of Juzo's head. Her eyes were narrowed into slits and even though Juzo managed to bring his forearm up to block, she couldn't help but smirk when she heard a quiet crack under the force of the blow. Not quite broken, but should hurt like a bitch, she mused internally as she ducked under his blade.

Pausing, Noriko stopped her counter mid-swing as Juzo leapt back, pivoting on his heel and running the opposite direction. 

"Huh?... Chitose!"

Forcing herself to move quickly, Noriko pushed herself after the man - her heart now in her throat as she watched him approach the building her companion was behind. He rounded the corner as she jumped, landing on his back and wrapping her legs around his torso. She used her forearms to grip around his neck, jolting his head, and by connection his body, backwards as she grappled the man. 

While disorientating him and throwing him off balance, her strength was not enough to send him to the ground and the sorcerer snarled as he remained standing.

A wide-eyed, blindfold-less Chitose stared up at her with (what Noriko assumed to be) her pupils shaking in fear. The now-visible eyes of her Kyoto upperclassman were gold with a red ring around each white pupil - and notably wide and scared.

"Chitose! Anything would be helpful right now!" Noriko yelled, tightening her grip around the man's neck as he stumbled back but steadied himself and lifted an arm to grab a handful of Noriko's hair in an attempt to pull her off him. When it didn't work, he let out a manic laugh, forcing the edge of his cleaver into the leather of her holster and through to the flesh of her thigh. Both ink and blood spilled down, pooling onto the dirt. "Anything!"

In her panic, Chitose did the first thing that came to her mind, which was to lock eyes with Noriko... and copy her ability. Dropping into a crouch, the second year scrambled to the floor, pulling off one of her gloves to reveal the print of an open black eye on the back of her hand. She dipped her fingers in the spilled ink that pooled towards her, writing the first thought that came to mind on the ground: 'blade'.