31

Tokyo Metropolitan Curse Technical College, Tokyo, 2018

Noriko Kamo shrugged her shoulders nonchalantly as Satoru Gojo stared her down. She was sat on a moss-covered rock that followed a stone path through the bamboo forest on the school's grounds. Casting speckled shadows over her face, the leaves of the bamboo above shivered and danced in the gentle breeze. The sorcerer trained her eyes on a small stone shrine along the pathway.

"Shikishi felt a curse... one that was familiar to her when she was alive," the student answered, tapping the sides on her white trainers together (internally dying at the sight of the creased and cracked leather on the toes). "She just followed and-"

"Shikishi took over? Did anyone see?" Fighting back a wince, Noriko noted Gojo's unusually stern tone. He wanted the higher-ups to think he'd revealed his hand when bringing Yuji back into the limelight; that's the way he wanted it. Noriko was the card up his sleeve, a completely unsuspected advantage he couldn't afford to lose.

"No, maybe, Chitose from Kyoto was there," she answered, scuffing around some pebbles with her right foot as she absent-mindedly tapped her fingers against her pouch - her fingers making dull thudding noises on the metal ink canister through the leather. "And the white-haired curse, they spoke."

Gojo nodded, rubbing the back of his neck. Of course, it'd been a distraction to steal something, they'd already taken inventory of the storeroom,  but Noriko's story just confirmed that it had been the curse Nanami had met. If that curse and the two that Gojo had seen were working together, then it was much more serious than he first anticipated. Curses didn't group up; that was a basic fact of life. So, what the hell was going on here?

"I'd figured you'd probably sensed our energy at the storeroom since Shikishi created a Domain, no point hiding it now." She shrugged again. "You know I have no involvement with the curses other than this."

There was a silence.

"Of course, I would never accuse my students of something like that," Gojo chirped in his more normal hyper tone, "however, you understand you can't mention this to anyone. Your appearance there is enough means for the higher-ups to interrogate you independently. I won't be able to help you. "

"I'm aware," Noriko grumbled, pursing her lips in frustration as she straightened the bangs falling across her eyebrows.  "I'm assuming you got rid of any residuals, right?"

He merely grinned.

"Thank you." Dusting off her skirt, Noriko pushed herself up, smoothing out her pigtails as she turned to start walking back towards the compound. "Though I have another favour to ask."

Gojo hummed as he fell into stride with her as they began to exit the forest, warm sunlight hitting their skin.

"Have you heard of a plague curse, Moyi-ue?" 

He wracked his brain for a few seconds. Plague curses were strong... with disease and illness being still such a predominant fear even in the 21st century - it wouldn't be a surprise to see one that had been alive since Shikishi's era. But that meant another curse was potentially working alongside the already established group.

"I haven't heard of that one specifically, but I'll keep an ear out," the white-haired sorcerer shrugged as he pulled open the door of the classroom the others were waiting in, letting Noriko in first.

"Ah, Noriko! There you are!" Nobara exclaimed, twisting in her seat to greet her classmate. Itadori followed suit, patting the seat next to him as a considerably battered Noriko strode into the room with Gojo Satoru following quick behind. "You look like shit."