End

EXTRA-

"Why did you bother bringing this? Did you really think that I'm going to accept that?"  Nile exclaimed, pushing the money back like it's some pungent piece of garbage he just discovered.

Iresh opened his mouth, but Nile spoke up again, "Even if I wasn't sure about leaving, I was still saving up money from last couple of years just in case if I ever get a chance and I have saved and earned enough to survive because I'm not planning to come back here again. And you are degrading me this way!" 

"I had no intention of that... I'm sorry." he looked down, he knew this would happen but he still went out of his way. 

"But, I felt like that when you are just offering me money like this."

"You respect my father, right?"

"What?" his annoyance turned into confusion.

"You once said that-"

"Yes, I do. I mean, he gave me this job even if I didn't have any experience and never mistreated me or anyone. He gave me a break of an entire week after- and didn't cut off the payment of those days-"

"You are his trusted worker and you earned it."

"He's a good person, but why did you ask?"

"Since you respect him so much... you wouldn't turn down anything from him, would you?" Iresh asked, quietly observing Nile's changing reaction.

"What did you do?" Nile held him by his arms as he was backing away. "Did you tell him about m-"

"Obviously not!" he said and sincerely shook his head, "I would not do that." he squirmed in his hold and Nile loosened his grip. He raised his brows, indicating him to continue.

"So, you were doing overtime right?" he asked carefully and watched Nile nod. "And he may or may not be a little happy about his son showing a little interest in business."

Iresh had realised he had to get involved in the business, not only for Nile but for himself. Doesn't matter how much he hates it, he had to get some experience to use later since he was not planning on being stuck here forever. And his interest has made his parents significantly happy, so when he suggested that they should pay the overtime worker a little bit more than usual to raise morale, his father agreed.

"What is that suppose to mean?"  Nile asked, but Iresh had slipped out of his hold and was already running away.

"You will see!" he called back. 

Fin~

.......

The story was set in an age of caste differences and division of labor (designated jobs based on the community people are born in), used exist (still prevailing in couple of places) in ancient times and this division of wealth and occupation had lead to nothing but hatred among communities.

There were only few moments where I indicated towards them (examples- when Nile flinched at Iresh's attempt to hold his hand and pressure on Iresh to take the business seriously). But, this story is just about Iresh and an event of his life and cowardly enough, not my attempt to dive deep into the severe social injustice.

I hope you enjoyed the story. Feel free to point out any mistakes and share your thoughts.

Thanks for reading!