A Kiss On The Dock - Unfinished Romance

He turned from me then. Hands deep in his pockets and shoulders tense, walking in a stride I couldn't keep up with without jogging.

"Look, I'm sorry."

No response.

"<boys name> stop!"

He paused for a moment never changing posture.

"I know it doesn't make sense. I know it looks like I don't care. But I've never cared more. When I'm with you, I can't think of anything else but that moment. And when I'm not with you I can't stop thinking about the next time I'll see you. And when you touch me absolutely everything stops. Please... I love you..." my eyes pleaded and began to sting as I hung on to those last three words. "Please stay."

I waited what seemed an eternity of silence only to watch him walk away moments later.

I sat on the dock and allowed my bare feet to dangle over the side as I turned over the events in my mind's eye. A few tear drops escaped the wipe of my hand to land on the water below, fragmenting my reflection.

I couldn't comprehend any of it. I knew it was my own fault. I should've been honest with him. Should have told him at the beginning. But it was too late now.

As the sun set over the water, I heard foot steps approach. It was him. I yearned to stand and meet him halfway, but was afraid of what he came to say. So I stayed still to await my fate.

"<girl's name>?"

I looked up and saw his hand outstretched towards me. I took it. He gently pulled me up to stand and then pulled me hard into him, toe to toe.

"I wanted to stay away. Wanted to stay angry," he whispered. "I really did. I almost think that would be easier that way. But..." he cupped one hand against my cheek. "I'd miss this."

I smiled slightly as I relished in his touch.

"<girl's name>, you see? I want this. I want you." Somehow he found a way to pull me closer to himself, and he kissed me. Warm velvet on my lips. Then he pulled back just enough to put his forehead to mine. "I love you."

In that moment I felt like we were on the precipice of the highest mountain with all of creation celebrating our one-ness. But we were on a dock in the shanty town. After I stopped hearing the beating of my heart and then stopped hearing the beating of his, I listened to the waves lapping against the beams like applause.

We sat on the dock together for hours. Watched the sun set turn to twilight and then watched each star appear. We didn't say another word until goodnight. There was no need. The day had reached its quota on words, on feeling, on everything. Nothing more could be said, felt or done, it was too full.

I loved that day.