God In Hiding

r/WritingPrompt: 

You are God. The reason you haven't done any huge miracles in the last few centuries is because you're hiding. Hiding from your creations. For what they don't understand, they fear. And what they fear, they kill.

Centuries ago I walked the Earth performing miracles and feats. Healing the lame, giving sight to the blind, and feeding the hungry. Hearts softened and ears listened.

When I returned to heaven I hoped my children would keep my teachings in their hearts and stay on the right path. However, as I sit in my equivalent of a laundry room avoiding them and their toddler-like cries, I know all too well the truth.

I have created monsters.

They fight over every little thing. Taking jabs at each other at every chance. Unable to share the backseat or look out the same windows of the land I placed down for them.

Trivial disagreements end in full-blown temper tantrums. There is no compromise and no empathy for the other's case.

Oh, and what happens when they see something lesser than them? A bug? They squash it! The beautiful creations I've made in my image are killed without thought. Snuffed out like candles.

So here I sit. Alone. Unreachable. I'll leave the children to their own devices. Maybe they'll figure things out on their own. Maybe they'll take care of it themselves with a proper extinction. I'll do better next time.

I am quite good at reptiles.