0.1

In life there is always one person that makes everything special, that one person that makes the sun shine a little brighter and the sky a little bluer. For Y/N, that was her best friend Nathan. The two were inseparable, they did everything together. From tea parties to hockey games, the two were never apart. If they weren't at each other's houses, they were spending late nights skating on the pond- wasting time under the stars as if the world around them was non-existent.

Things weren't always that way however, it wasn't until one summer that Y/N and her family had moved to Cole harbour right next door to the Mackinnon's. A small grey house that once seemed like a castle to the young girl, had become home. With its tall wooden fence that surrounded the back of the property, vines and leafs encased the stone leading up to the stairs of Y/N's front porch. Never in a million years did Y/N think that the house would lose it's charm.

Y/N's family had moved to Cole Harbour shortly after the beginning of grade one, the young girl's mother had gotten a loan from the bank and opened a convenience store near the lake. Even though the little girl was only six years old, she was very sad that she had moved away. She missed her friends at school and the kids she played with in timbits.

Hockey had always been a major thing in Y/N's life, from the moment she could walk, her parents through a pair of skates on her and put her onto the ice. This was evident by the small mat that sat on the stairs leading up to the threshold of the house. It was old and a little ratty, but the white cursive letters read 'a hockey family lives here'

There was a knock on the door as Y/N and her family were unpacking. Y/N's father told her to go get the door and she ran to open the door to see a small blonde hair boy with blue eyes, and an older man with dirty blonde hair and a beard at the other end of the door. The boy was holding a tray of what seemed to be food.

"Hi" The boy said shyly as he looked down and kicked his feet lightly. The boy held out the tray and looked at the young girl "My parents made a casserole. We wanted to welcome you to the neighbourhood" He said and Y/N took it and looked at it, the man whom Y/N presumed to be the boy's father grinned. "Just wanted to welcome you to the neighbourhood!"

"I love casserole!" She said, beaming up at the two individuals. The boy grinned "Me too!" He said and smiled "My name is Nathan, what's your name?" The boy said sticking out his hand and Y/N took it, beaming.

"My name is Y/N" She said as her mother went towards the door and smiled at her daughter "Oh you already made a friend!" Her mother said and Nathan was grinning "We live next door!" He said and the older man was smiling "My name is Graham, my wife Kathy is on her way over now." He said and Y/N's mother looked at the father and son. "Come in! We're still unpacking but we have the coffeemaker up and running if you would like coffee"

Graham beamed and nodded "We would love to!" He said and Y/N jumped up and down a bit "I can show you my room! There's nothing in there but I've unpacked a couple of hockey sticks"

Nathan's eyes widened as he looked at her excitedly. "No way! You like hockey?" He asked, voice practically squeaking as joy erupted through him. Y/N beamed, the recollection of them sharing a common interest spreading across her face. "Duh! Who doesn't like hockey?!" She spoke with pure thrill. Gram chuckled and nudged his boy softly. "Look! Now you have someone to go to the pond with when it freezes over."

Y/N grinned brightly and pulled on her mother's hand as she jumped, unable to contain the happiness flowing through her. "Mum! Can we unpack the sticks?!" she asked eagerly.

Throwing her head back with a laugh, Y/N's mother chuckled. "My husband and I bought the kids a ball hockey set last year for Y/N's birthday..." she explained. Y/N had an older brother who was currently with their dad. They were setting things up at the new store and would be home around dinner time.