•CHAPTER FIVE•

After classes, I cut the split ends that were with my own scissor in the sparkling bathroom. I frowned once I was done, my hair was barely going below my neck now. Maybe later I would have wanted this hairdo, but not when it was forced on me by bullies.

I put the scissor back in my backpack and zipped it, then decided to turn around. However, I noticed Hui in the mirror. Seeing that we were only two girls in the school, this bathroom was only used by us.

‘You don’t rock that hair as much as I do. In fact, you don’t rock it all.’ she told me like a fashion expert, then walked over to the mirror to powder her face. I had a feeling that she had just walked into the bathroom to tell me that I looked terrible rather than to powder her white face.

‘I know, but I didn’t ask for this hairdo.’ I summed up the courage to ask her what was on my mind. ‘Why’d you do that? It’s not as if I did anything to you.’

‘So you think.’

‘What!?’ I gasped. ‘I didn’t do anything to you at all. I haven’t interrupted you and your boys in any way.’ I stopped. ‘Or is it Jiaqi? I swear he’s the one who talked to me.’

Hui looked in my direction from the mirror. ‘So you’ve been talking to Jiaqi?’

I probably shouldn’t have said that. I guess she didn’t notice and I had literally made her realize it. I wasn’t sure what relationship existed between her and Jiaqi, but I was probably better off staying out of her way.

I shook my head. ‘Not exactly. Just leave me alone okay? I don’t want any drama. I just want to get good grades…that’s it.’

Without waiting for her response, I walked out of the bathroom and started to make my way home.

Upon arrival at home, my parents were surprised with my new hairstyle. I told them not to worry about it, that I just wanted to try something new like other girls my age. I just didn’t want them to worry too much about me, they had a lot to worry about at the end of the day.

But when I sent Maggie pictures of my new hairdo, she said I rocked it. I didn’t know how far true that was, but Maggie was the most honest human being I’ve ever met. If you looked bad, she’d tell you straight up. If you looked good, yes she’d tell you as well. So I kind of believed her.

The next day at school, I was honestly thinking of changing seats. However, there was no other empty seat in the class. I ended up still sitting behind Jiaqi, whom I was very sure Hui didn’t want me talking to.

When he had turned around to talk to me, I wasn’t pleased at all.

‘Don’t,’ I said immediately before he even said anything.

‘What?’ he raised his eyebrow.

‘I don’t want to get in trouble with your girlfriend.’

‘Girlfriend?’ Jiaqi looked at Hui then back at me with a chuckle. ‘Girlfriend huh?’

‘Can you stop talking to her? Why do you always want to get on Hui’s bad side?’ Chengxin suddenly spoke. Even though I also didn’t want Jiaqi to talk to me, I took full offence to Chengxin’s words.

‘Well I don’t mind as much as you do.’ Jiaqi turned back to his friend as he answered him.

We had one period for health class, before we commuted to the lab on the first floor of the school. Everyone was now dressed in their white lab coats and googles. It seemed everyone could sit wherever they wanted in the lab, so I opted to sit as far away from everyone as much as possible.