Chapter Two

You led Miles out of the room to sign in, walking past the other man's presumed wife. He stopped in his tracks and looked from you, to her, and then back again.

    "Can you give us a minute?" He asked. You weren't quite sure of what to do, but you nodded and stepped away. 

    You walked over to your desk after going through the doors. You sat down and looked through paperwork, while occasionally glancing up at them through the glass, hoping they didn't notice.

    They seemed to be talking about something pretty intense, and kept glancing your direction, and all around, as if looking to make sure no one was watching. She seemed to almost be a bit upset with him. They moved down the hall a bit, out of your sight. You weren't sure if they had noticed you, or if they were just being careful. What reason did they have to be so careful anyway?

    You prepared the papers for Miles - if that even was his real name - to check in. 

    The both of them approached through the doors and walked to your desk. One of your co-workers walked over to you and set some papers down on your desk.

    You quickly skimmed over them. The blonde man had been identified as Waylon Park, and had previously been admitted to an asylum, which explained the weird outfit, but did not explain any of his injuries. Although, something about that sure as hell did not sound right to you. Why wasn't anyone else suspicious?

    "Here, just sign this," You said, sliding the other papers over to Miles on the high marble counter. He nodded and grabbed a pen, starting to sign, but he almost seemed hesitant about it. I guess that's not too unusual, you thought, but you just could not shake the sense that something was deeply wrong.

    "He's a family friend, if you must know," The woman - Lisa Park - huffed. She seemed strong-willed, uptight, and protective, but you could see the sweetness of a mother in her eyes.

    "It's just protocol," You explained, but her stiff expression didn't change. You sighed, quiet enough that they would not hear you. Usually you weren't this stressed, but the feeling that something was wrong would not go away, and it was causing everything to just feel...worse. You knew you were probably imagining it, since you needed sleep desperately.

    Coincidentally, as soon as Miles handed the papers back to you, the doctor walked in - your friend. 

   "He's awake now," she said. Lisa almost looked stunned for a moment, before she rushed through the doors, a relieved look on her face. Miles hesitantly followed her.

    "Don't you think it's a little weird he shows up here after being admitted to that place - Mount Massive?" You asked your friend, although it didn't seem like she was catching on to what you were saying.

   She blinked, "Why would it be weird?"

   "Well," you said, leaning back in your chair with a stressed sigh, "With all those injuries. And it never said he was released."

    "You think the asylum hurt him? Really? Since when are you conspiracy theorist?" She almost laughed a bit.

    You gave a fake laugh in response, but really, you felt mocked. "I mean, you never know," you said, adding some sarcasm to your tone.

   She smiled and laughed a bit. "True. Well, I have a few others to get to," she nodded and left to the rest of the hospital.

    You sat there, contemplating everything. You started to wonder if Miles and Lisa were discussing whatever they talked about together with Waylon, or if the poor man was even coherent enough to comprehend anything.