15. Nova

4 WEEKS LATER

It was late in the afternoon and Paul was enjoying the time he could be spending outside, drinking coffee and finally being able to unwind for the first time in a while. He was glad to find out that the Rikers had a very good supply of coffee and that he was able to choose from five different blends. He couldn't remember when was the last time he actually had an option to choose.

Snezhinka was laying on the ground right next to his feet, nudging his leg every once in a while and demanding attention. The old dog has somehow taken a liking to him and would now follow him around the base most of the time. It seemed a little funny to Paul though. Who would have thought that Dragov's dogs would be the incentive that he would need to gain the man's trust and, ultimately, friendship.

Sipping on his coffee he noticed said man approach from the base, still using a crutch to walk around. Dragov would never admit it but his legs were in a much worse shape than he tried to play it. He never complained about it though and tried to get back to his duties as soon as possible. Joaquin modified an orthosis for him, which ultimately allowed the man to only use one crutch. Unfortunately it was still unclear how long he would need to be recovering and if he will ever gain full mobility again.

„Good afternoon, you lazy bastard," Dragov smiled and sat down next to Paul. „I see that Snezhinka is basically your dog now, eh?"

„What can I say," Paul smiled and took a sip of coffee. „I kinda have that effect on dogs."

„That why they call you Dogman?"

„That and the work I do. Thanks for letting me set up shop here, by the way. It's a much better place for a veterinary clinic."

„Don't mention it. I'm in your debt anyway. I wouldn't be able to do half the shit that had to be done here if it wasn't for your help."

„Nah. We're a team now. It's the least I could have done."

Dragov smiled then, wrapping one of his arms around Paul's shoulders and squeezing hard. The man almost spilled his coffee.

„Still. I'm glad to have you as a friend. How are those medical shipments coming along by the way?"

„Almost at Haven. The CPUs will be packed and brought here tomorrow. Anna is working on the systems as we speak and it's the only delivery she needs to complete the upgrade. The Rikers have been a tremendous help with that. She should be done by the weekend."

„Great. That will keep my people safe. I'm glad we managed to upgrade the security systems this thoroughly. It keeps my people in good spirits. Speaking of spirits... up for a drink?"

Only then did Paul notice that Dragov brought along a bottle of vodka and two shot glasses. He snorted.

„What's the occasion?"

„There's no particular occasion, but I believe we haven't yet been able to drink to our success and to the fact that you basically became my second in command last week."

„Come on. I'm not your second in command."

„Yeah, that might not have been the right description. I treat you as an equal. The Rikers treat you like a leader too. So it's only fitting we made it official."

Paul turned his head a little and frowned.

„What are you talking about?"

„Hey, you know I haven't been at my best recently. I need somebody to watch my back. And with Duchess gone... I would like it to be you."

Paul blinked fast and looked Dragov straight in the eyes. He wasn't joking.

„You're serious about this, aren't you?"