11. Who Are You?

„So you're saying that the new watches are improved how?"

Anna and Theo were standing in front of a screen in the Tombs, a few tablets and a laptop scattered on a table behind them. Theo was working on a navigation system and Anna was going through some details she designed for the watches that have so far been delivered to Dragov and Joaquin. She and Theo had one each as well. Dragov was on a speaker, listening to her instructions and completing all necessary updates.

„The interface itself is simple as we don't have to follow the government requirements," Anna said, going through the options available in the system. „It's also encrypted much better than ISAC. And I added haptic feedback; it could come in handy from time to time. But you have to wear the watch on your wrist for it to work."

„And what exactly is this haptic... whatever?"

„Do you know Morse code?"

„Yes."

„Okay. Put the watch on and let me run a test."

As soon as Dragov confirmed that the watch was indeed located on his wrist Anna used the interface of hers to send him a message.

„Woah! Did you just hello me?"

„Yes I did. I'm glad to see that it worked."

„How did you do that?"

„I put special sensors in the base; I didn't want the vibrations to be too strong but I wanted to make sure you'll be able to feel them agains your skin. It's only for emergencies though. It's not really comfortable enough to be used in everyday communication."

„Understood. So I just have to tap the watch face and the feedback will translate to the other device?"

„Yeah, that's pretty much it."

„Smart. You're good at this, cupcake."

Anna felt her eyelid twitch at the nickname but didn't say a word.

„Just make sure that you keep the watch on your wrist. How are your legs by the way?"

„Awful. They had to put my bones together with screws and plates and God knows what else. I'm not going to be able to walk for a while."

„I'm sorry to hear that. Please let me know if there is something I could do to help."

„Don't worry. I don't need much as long as we have morphine."

„Still. If you ultimately end up more fucked up than you assumed, I can always build you new legs," Anna snorted a little.

„Let's hope there'll be no need for that, but I'll keep that in mind."

„With built-in turrets. Think about it."

„Very funny. Have you talked to Schaeffer yet?"

Theo turned around at that and shot Anna a questioning look. She pretended not to see it.

„No. Not yet."

„Get it over with already. Just remember what I told you about him."

„I will. I have to go now."

„Okay. Thanks for the upgrades. Let us know if you need anything."

„Will do."

With that, Anna ended the call and reached for one of her tablets, trying to get back to work right away, but Theo was faster than that. He approached her immediately, snatched the tablet away and sent her another questioning look, this time laced with worry.