Tricks Played by The Shadows

Neville could see that this was a new experience for her. And he would never forget the smile on her face as they spin around, her bare feet on top of his shoes, as he led them. The Gryffindor knew he was not the best dancer, but looking at her and how happy she was, he was almost certain she did not care one inch.

"Are you enjoying yourself?" He asked, barely a whisper. She had been quiet for so long, he was not sure if Pansy fell asleep on his arms. Not that he would mind. Knowing she was comfortable with him, always made him feel honoured. She was always able to maintain her barriers so high.

"So much... I thought my night was ruined or that I needed to go get some other shoes from my trunk... but this is so nice, I love it!" The girl confessed, the sound stuffy from being said against his chest.

"Are you tired? Or thirsty? We can take a break." He assured they had been dancing for close to an hour without a break.

"Oh, yes, that sounds wonderful, although I think it will take some time for us to get anywhere if I'm standing on your feet."

Neville chuckled, picking her up bridal style and carrying her to the lounge area. He found an empty armchair and placed her down. "What can I get you?"

"There was elf wine at dinner, so maybe they will have some air rum?" As she adjusted herself on the armchair, Neville could not stop himself from seeing the resemblance with a fairy princess, like in the children's tales, shining on the enchanted forest. His fairy princess.

Neville moved to the bar, and he was about to ask the elves for the drinks when he saw Hermione glare at him over Theo's shoulder, so he changed directions to the beverage table and filled two cups with some muscat wine. He would not get on Granger's Danger Zone on his last day at Hogwarts.

And then there was a scream, a scream he had woken up to more than once in the last six months. "Pansy!" The glasses fell from his hands as he rushed to the longing area. He found her on her feet, looking around with her wand raised. "Pans?" Neville wrapped his arms around her.

"There's something in the shadows..." She whispered, holding her left arm close to her chest. He was too worried by her sudden cry to notice the other students around them.

Neville raised his wand and cast it at the dark green drapes and trees behind her armchair. Pulling the decorations aside, to reveal two seventh year Ravenclaws mid-shagging. Neville sighed, of relief, kissing Pansy's forehead.

"I know it's the last day, but as Head Boy, I will still take 20 points from Ravenclaw and send you to detention. Move along!" Neville said, holding his girlfriend close. "The Ball is over for you two, back to the dorm... find a bed or a couch to do that in Ravenclaw Tower!"

And the tone he used left no doubts, no question, the couple rearranged their clothing and left. Neville looked around. And everyone was looking at him. "I would like to advise all the couples and triads and quartets and whatever, that they should choose a different room for such rude activities!"

The silence in the room was deafening, even the band had stopped playing. "Now, the party must go on because the night is still young! Enjoy the Graduation Ball!"

As most students returned to their dancing or conversations, Neville kept still, arms wrapped around his favourite flower. Her head was buried on his chest. "I'm so embarrassed!" Pansy confessed.

Neville picked her up. "You have nothing to be embarrassed about! Let's get some fresh air." And it was the truth, the war and the fears and the high alert would still be present in their lives. But now, all it mattered was comforting her. And the Gryffindor knew exactly what to do.