I Call Your Name

I call your name
But you're not there
Was I to blame
For being unfair?

Don't you know I can't sleep at night
Since you've been gone?
I never weep at night
I can't go on

Don't you know I can't take it?
I don't know who can
I'm not gonna make it
I'm not that kind of man

Don't you know I can't sleep at night?
But just the same
I never weep at night
I call your name

"John... John..."

Don't you know I can't take it?
I don't know who can
I'm not gonna make it
I'm not that kind of man

Don't you know I can't sleep at night?
But just the same, yeah
I never weep at night
I call your name (I call your name)
I never weep at night
I call your name, yeah

As I was first a Beatles fan, I was pleasantly surprised when I found that they covered I Call Your Name. Now many fans, sometimes me included, think that Beatles covers aren't as good.

You hear the cover and you think, "Man, I should listen to the original instead."

I've listened to the Billy J. Kramer version, the Buckinghams one, and of course the Beatles version.

While I love the Beatles version, with John singing and the catchy tune, I have to admit that the Mamas & Papas cover is the one I come back to the most.

Why? Now, don't get mad. I love the Beatles, but you just have to LISTEN to it.

1) The arrangement. John Phillips really knew how to arrange a song. The piano really added more to the song, gave it more depth, in my opinion. (I'm no musician 😬) Also, it's a bit slower, which I think fits better with the lyrics about heartbreak.

2) This next reason is obvious. CASS ELLIOT'S VOCALS. I love her voice in this song. She vocals are the reason why it's one of my favorite songs from them. Turning this song into a duet-ish type was a really great idea, Cass and Denny gave this song a new perspective.

3) Cass whispering "John" which I thought was adorable as she had a crush on John Lennon. It's nice that she gave this song her all so she could catch his attention.

4) The end of the song wraps it up nicely yet leaves you wanting for more.